Reefkeeping Generational Classification Help

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like to name and classify the generations of reefers that I meet. Like anything, this is overgeneralized, but mostly works. I really need a name for the most recent generation that I have encountered... I cannot come up with one that I like. Also, if I missed any clear-cut generations or details about them, then please let me know and I will edit them. I know that there are some early hobbyists that browse around out here that almost never post and your opinions on the older generations would be quite interesting...

Discus/Cichlid Generation - Had huge credits at the LFS from breeding and selling baby discus and decided to get into saltwater. Have massive understanding of chemistry and pay attention to the details. Most of these folks actually know enough to run a large-scale fish store or wholesaler. They understand details and nuance that matter so much since they had to learn via trial and error.

LFS Generation - Would occasionally read TFH magazine for the few salt articles, but mostly got their info and supplies from a well-done LFS. The quality of the LFS in the area was a large contributing factor to why some parts of the country have great hobbyists and some have next to nothing. Friends in the hobby were crucial and local clubs really had some great meetings with great knowledge transfer. Details and nuance are there in most of the hobbyists. Wet Web Media and books start to be a great place for knowledge.

Biocube Generation - Saw Finding Nemo and decided that they have a spectacular reef in twenty gallons and will not invest in a larger setup and cannot understand that you cannot do everything in a 29G that you can in a 180G. Still mostly went to LFS with a few things available online. Yellow and Purples in a 29G biocube started the national creation of the Tang Police. Friends and clubs still played a big role, but dwindling. This generation really turned the tide for online retailers of both equipment and livestock. Will still trust locals and LFS for advice, but details and nuance are starting to get lost.

BRS Generation - Almost exclusively buy stuff online - don