Resealing a tank, looking for opinions and experiences on what silicone to use

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im going to totally tear out all the silicone on this tank I just got. They look a little ragged, and I might as well do them now.

Looking for opinions and experiences of different types of silicone people have used. I was on BRS and looking at their silicone, and reading lots on the web. But, real world experience would be nice to hear about.

Thanks!

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh man are u gona seperate the tank or just remove what's on the inside? All glass makes a siclacone for tanks. It's what I have used on many sumps over the yes.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
RTV108 is by far the best silicone I have ever used for both strength and ease of use

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;n640460 said:
RTV108 is by far the best silicone I have ever used for both strength and ease of use

I don't do silicone a lot, but that strikes me as the one I remember as well...

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im just removing whats inside. Looks dried out from sitting. Lots easier to do now versus after setup. Looks like a total pain to do, but thats what bud lights for, right?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't to high jack this thread but, what about gluing acrylic to glass?

To the op, RTV is all I trust. It's a long term solution and very close if not the same product aquarium manufacturers use in the initial construction of mainstream tanks.

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay, RTV it is. Watched a lot of videos, read a lot. Looks like lots of scraping, cleaning, repeat. The vertical seams are the ones that look dried out. Can I just do them? Or do I need to cut out the bottom ones also? If I just do the vertical ones, will the spot where new silicone on the verticals meets the old silicone seams on the bottom seal? Didnt find the answer to that online so far. I dont think I need to cut out the corner overflows and do those seams, they look fine. However it may be a good idea to do all of it......ideas?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
if you are going to go through the effort to reseal it, I'd do the whole thing. The last thing you want creeping through your mind is "what if" that one seam fails....or if the one seam you didn't do was the one to fail how would you feel knowing an extra 30 minutes of work and $2 in silicone could have prevented it.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Legonch;n640494 said:
Chris, do you like to reseal tanks? Do you drink bud light? =)
My experience is limited to siliconing in sump baffles, and siliconed up my overflow when I added it to my tank. I've never done the full scrape and re-seal.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Resealing a tank is super easy. Its kind of intimidating at first but really the hardest part is cutting out the old silicon. After that its some minor cleanup to remove any debris, mask it off with painters/masking tape, run a bead of silicon between the masking and then remove the tape. Let dry a few days and you are good to go.

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I started the reseal on a 135 gallon tank I had here. This tank did hold water for a month. The old silicone on the corners had peeled back, and had green gunk behind them, etc. It took about 3 hours of scraping, 10 razor scraper blades, and a big portion of a 12 pack of bud light. Just got done wiping the seams with acetone, and have some touch up scraping to do.

I noticed that the inside seam seals are secondary seals compared to between the panes of glass. My theory that if the tank isn't leaking, but you have funky vertical silicone in the corners, this is a pretty simple repair. If you have a leak between the big pieces of glass, it looks like the only true repair would be to separate the big glass seams and redo them totally. Maybe if the leak is towards the top, you could get by with just doing the inside silicone, but down low there would be a lot of water pressure, and a potential for a huge leak.

Overall not a bad deal so far. I can see once you silicone the seams, getting it done quickly and getting the tape pulled back before the silicone starts to skin may be a big issue. A tank this small, one guy running the silicone gun, the other guy smoothing the silicone, and then the first guy pulling tape after getting done putting silicone down seems like a good idea.

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Havent got the silicone yet. Looks like the only place that carries it is grainger. Anyone know where else I can grab some? The RTV 108 stuff?

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is a pic of my 135 gallon tank Im resealing. Lots of scraping involved. Probably 4 hours total. There isnt one piece of silicone still in the tank. Ordered the rtv108, should be in tomorrow. Will hopefully reseal this weekend. Hardest problem will be getting the tape off before the silicone starts to skin on this size of tank. I need 4 arms.....