Return Bulk Head

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I picked up a few bulk heads from Neptune's, I got both of the sizes they had just to make sure I got the right one for my tank. I then went to HD and couldn't find any PVC piece that screw over the bulk head (red circle, 1" piece), however I did find pieces that will fit inside the bulk head (yellow circle, 3/4").

Since this is going to be for the return pump I wont have to worry about the size of plumbing going up to the return bulk head/flow nozzles correct?
Also has anyone used plumbers paste to help make a seal with the bulk heads, gaskets and the glass? The company that the internal overflow came from suggested it as was just curious.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The inside threads are for the male adapter (either thread by slip for pvc or thread by male insert for flex pipe). The outside thread of the bulkhead is used solely for the tightening the thin nut on the bulk head. The bulkheads should have also come with a rubber gasket which goes between the flange of the bulkhead and the inside glass. Then you would tighten the thin nut on the bottom side of the tank. Also do not use any silicone or paste just the gasket on vinegar cleaned glass.

Hope that helps - chime in if you have any more questions.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Return Bulk Head

I agree no plumbers paste on the gaskets. I would use the Teflon paste where you will screw pvc into the 3/4" end of the bulkhead. Don't use Teflon tape though as it can cause the bulkhead to crack and you don't usually get a good seal with it.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea that makes sense on what you both said. I thought it was to be able to but some other fittings over it lol. Thanks for the info though.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use silicone on the treads better seal and it won't cause anything to crack. Reeflo guys suggested it