Return//Drain Line recommendations

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
1) first, I'm starting to plan my next tank, hoping to pickup on Monday. It's got the traditional "reef ready" in tank overflow with the two drilled holes on the bottom. I'm thinking of doing a herbie style using the larger hole as an emergency drain and the smaller one as the main drain and then running the return line over the back. I know this will restrict flow using the smaller hole but I like the idea of having an emergency drain, especially after my last tank.
Thoughts on herbie?
2) second, Ive already got a 30b that I'm planning on putting next to the display tank, it's got one hole drilled in the bottom already, I'm thinking of drilling 2 more on either side. Using the larger hole in middle as return line and the smaller two on either side as drains, building in a piece of acrylic across the tank to act as an overflow box with the return line shooting across the top. Thoughts?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
just_tim;643999 said:
I think that's a very safe method of using a reef ready tank and wandering why I never thought of it.
It was something I started looking at on my last tank after I had a drain get clogged and overflow the tank while on vacation, luckily it wasn't completely clogged and ran some but still spilled a few gallons over the side.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I did a dual herbie on my 120. I drilled dual returns on the back. I think they were 3/4". Never had any problems. Took a couple days to get dialed in but ran really quiet. I used a water blaster 5000 for the return I think.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have never had any tank with a stock overflow (Aqueon, Marinland or other) fail on me, with one drain. As long as the drain (durso) is caged it will be fine. Caged.... Strainer over the opening of the drain so the snails can't get in there. LOL. I really think things are being over analyzed in a lot of situations. Just my opinion. I have been doing this for 27+ years. LOL

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
fishguy69;n644124 said:
I have never had any tank with a stock overflow (Aqueon, Marinland or other) fail on me, with one drain. As long as the drain (durso) is caged it will be fine. Caged.... Strainer over the opening of the drain so the snails can't get in there. LOL. I really think things are being over analyzed in a lot of situations. Just my opinion. I have been doing this for 27+ years. LOL
I had a strainer on it and it got a partial clog due to algae that came over the refuge into the display - probably more due to lack of maintenance than anything else though. I'll definitely take your advice anytime Vince!

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;n644216 said:
I had a strainer on it and it got a partial clog due to algae that came over the refuge into the display - probably more due to lack of maintenance than anything else though. I'll definitely take your advice anytime Vince!
Yes maintenance is always critical. Check those drain pipes when you do a water change, peace of mind. lol