RODI issues

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Twice now the RO filter on my units have clogged. I am picking up a booster pump from Allison tomorrow because I am not sure why they are failing. My pressure has been about 40-45 but it drops when students use the bathroom which happens frequently throughout the day. The BRS unit was brand new in June when I set it up but now I am only getting a trickle out of the RO filter. From the sediment and carbon filter pressure is fine. Any ideas on this one?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Thought that was it but flow in and out is fine. Flow to the RO filters is fine but there is no pressure coming out clean from either filter. I flushed it for at least 20 minutes today too.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
40 to 45 seems low.. Thinking the pump may help. Are you back flushing before every use? Does it have an auto shut off that isn't opening up?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
50 is optimal according to the directions.
I only flush after I change the filters. It's set up to a float valve so its in demand as evaporation happens.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Is the ASO valve operating correctly? Is the waste water shutting off or constantly running? Have you checked pressure right before and right after the membrane?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Pressure into the RO filters is fine. There is no pressure out.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Balz3352;658502 said:
I'd take the membrane out and see if that solves the problem
I'll order some new units too but they should last more than 3 months.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
did you say your unit is a BRS? i am reading on backflushing a RO membrane
looks like some of them have a built in back flush valve and if the restrictor is turned a certain way it causes the backflush to kick in. Ill do so looking and see maybe thats whats going on, most of your pressure is going out the waste line

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
projectx;658528 said:
did you say your unit is a BRS? i am reading on backflushing a RO membrane
looks like some of them have a built in back flush valve and if the restrictor is turned a certain way it causes the backflush to kick in. Ill do so looking and see maybe thats whats going on, most of your pressure is going out the waste line
It does seem that I've had a lot more waste on this system then on my previous one.