Ryan's (mostly) DIY 40 Breeder

The time has finally come for me to start setting everything back up and getting myself a tank again. The adjustment from a 300 to a 40 has already been tough with trying to plan what I want this tank to be, but for now it is what has to happen.

As of now, the build will consist of the following projects
Stand and hood
Sump and plumbing- Will need to drill a few holes and install baffles
LED lighting

So far the stand and hood are almost complete. Next step will be the sump and plumbing and then the light.

Here is the stand so far.....

It is made out of 2x3s and then faced with 3/4 inch pine. My goal was to keep it as open as possible and eliminate doors. I have instead built panels that fit into the openings and plan to attach them with either magnets or velcro.

The construction of the frame.

and to where I am now..... The painting. Normally I stain the stands that I build, but decided to paint this one instead. My goal was to make the stand a nice piece of furniture but to keep the colors drab in order for the colors in the tank to pop more. Hopefully it works. The stand will be painted dark blue and gray. It is painted with a DIY chalk paint and then I will be sanding it down to distress the stand.

And lastly I am onto the sanding portion. AKA the part I hate. I had done one side yesterday to see how I liked it and today I am working on finishing the rest.

MuralReef;638910 said:
Looks great. Did you go with magnets or Velcro?
I have magnets to install. Right now the panels are just sitting in their spots. Not sure if the magnets I have will be strong enough though. It may be a trial and error game to see what works best.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
If the ones you got don't work try www.magnet4less.com. They have neodymium magnets that have countersunk holes already. They are super strong and available in a variety of sizes.

MuralReef;638952 said:
If the ones you got don't work try [video]www.magnet4less.com[/video]. They have neodymium magnets that have countersunk holes already. They are super strong and available in a variety of sizes.
Thanks for the link. Will do if these don't work.

I've been doing some more research and have decided to switch things up a bit. I am going to remove the use of chaeto from my sump and go with only the turf scrubber. From what I have read, they serve the same function and once the turf scrubber gets going, it is more effective than the chaeto and eventually starves it out. Secondly, I am removing a separate partition for a skimmer. I pulled my skimmer out of storage today and realized its a recirculating one. (Completely forgot about that) Its more than likely going to need some new seals, but as long as it doesn't leak I am going to set it in a tray outside of the sump. This opens up a 12 x 18 area to place a frag rack.

Questions for all of you-

Where does everyone source their glass for DIY Projects? Ideally I want black glass so that I can ensure the turf light isn't bleeding into other parts of the sump where I don't want algae growing.

Does anyone use a turf scrubber along with the marinepure blocks?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I use a few of the Marinepure products. I have 1 block and 2 packages of the balls. I really like them. When I pick up the block to move it for cleaning it takes like 3 minutes for water to stop pouring out of it. They hold a crazy amount of water in there, which hopefully means a crazy amount of beneficial bacteria too!

I've had chaeto with the blocks but eventually the cheato starves itself out or has a big die off. So now I am running none. But I like the Marinepure, give it a try if you are on the fence.

TheRealChrisBrown;n638966 said:
I use a few of the Marinepure products. I have 1 block and 2 packages of the balls. I really like them. When I pick up the block to move it for cleaning it takes like 3 minutes for water to stop pouring out of it. They hold a crazy amount of water in there, which hopefully means a crazy amount of beneficial bacteria too!

I've had chaeto with the blocks but eventually the cheato starves itself out or has a big die off. So now I am running none. But I like the Marinepure, give it a try if you are on the fence.

Did you have chaeto and then add the marine pure or the other way around? Wondering if the block is what starved out the chaeto.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ryewalk84;n638971 said:
Did you have chaeto and then add the marine pure or the other way around? Wondering if the block is what starved out the chaeto.
Tough to say, I've had cheato in my sump for more or less 6 years. I've had a few die offs, but I don't know if I could pinpoint it to the Marinepure or not. I think it does a great job in the sump, I have mine mixed with live rock and live rock rubble as well. All working hand in hand and singing Kumbaya....

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Your stand looks great. I would like to add a hood to my 40. I like the way that looks way better than the lights just sitting on top of the tank. Can't wait to see what you do with the aquascape

The hood wasn't hard to make it at. It's just a 1x12 cut into 3 pieces with a piece of ply wood on top open in the back. Then two strips of trim. Will have to take it off when cleaning thoroughly but it isn't heavy

Need some input for my overflow.

Option 1-
Herbie with one overflow and 2 3/4 inch drains

Option 2-
Herbie with 2 overflows but have them offset so one functions as the full siphon and the other as the emergency

Option 3-
Durso with two overflows

Right now I am leaning towards option 1.