Ryan's (mostly) DIY 40 Breeder

Plumbing has finally been completed and the water is now flowing into the sump. Was worried about the overflow not working properly but it purges perfectly. From what I can tell, it is super silent but I'm getting a lot of noise from the waterfalls in the sump. Next step will be to silence them as much as possible.

Well it's been some time since things in the tank have changed. The job front continues to be a pain, so extra expenses have not been available. The skimmer pump fried and filled the room with smoke one night, but the inhabitants weren't phased. I've added the algae scrubber to the sump. Not sure if it's working but it does grow algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always struggled with phosphates and I think that is one of the reasons my tank has never been truly impressive. Before the scrubber was fully installed, the screen was being seeded while sitting horizontally in the sump. I started measuring phosphate levels as soon as i added it with the new built light. Numbers stayed consistent while horizontal. As soon as i moved it vertically phosphates tanked. Hopefully my hanna checker is working right, but here are the numbers.

9/5 0.07
9/6 0.04
9/8 0.05
9/12 0.06
9/13 scrubber moved vertically.
9/16 0.00
9/17 0.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk