Sad week my clowns die

I bought a pair of mated onyx snowflake clown clowns almost a month ago and they were doing great and eating pe mysis every day yesterday when I got home one was dead and today I found the other one that jump out of the tank I don't know what could of killed the first one my water is good I don't have any amonia no nitrate 0ppm and nitrite 0ppm my ph is 8.2 and I took a water sample to the store they same results. I change 5 gallons every week and my tank is a 29 oceanic biocube with a sump I have protein skimmer and chaeto some grape culerpa..

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear. It could have been brooklynella as that is very fast acting and targets only fish in the damsel family. Did the one that dies have spots like this?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Actually Brooklynella can target any saltwater fish, lost nearly everythign I had last fall to it when I misdiagnosed as velvet and waited too long to treat with Formalin.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
What kind of tang? Seems very tight for a 29 with all of those guys. Most tangs require 75g+. Wouldn't be surprised if the tang killed one and chased the other out of the tank.

Na she's a small hippo and she never chase any fish or anything she's not aggressive at all I don't think she could make the clowns start loosing there color ..

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That hippo would most definately be incredibly territorial and stress out other fish in a tank that size. A hippo, regardless of purchase size, needs a tank no less than 75 gallons (and 4 ft minimum length) and needs a 6ft tank (125 or larger) when its a few years old. I would rehome that hippo as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Unfortunately, that is still too small for her. A 125g would be about the smallest. They need lots of swimming room. It would be like asking you to live in a 4 x 4 cell...

U know my plans it's not to keep her in the tank shell be rehome when she gets a lil bigger right now it's just her and the mated pistol shrimp..

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would do it sooner rather than later. Keeping a hippo in a 29 gallon is like keeping a puppy in a kennel 24/7 and changing the sheets once a week.

Yea right now ima keep her there I'm not going to rehome her I want to find out what kill the clown and and if I need to do treatment then I can see what's going to happen to the hippo..

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
zombie;345147 said:
That hippo would most definately be incredibly territorial and stress out other fish in a tank that size. A hippo, regardless of purchase size, needs a tank no less than 75 gallons (and 4 ft minimum length) and needs a 6ft tank (125 or larger) when its a few years old. I would rehome that hippo as soon as possible.
+100

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Rigo07;345153 said:
Yea right now ima keep her there I'm not going to rehome her I want to find out what kill the clown and and if I need to do treatment then I can see what's going to happen to the hippo..
Color fading and clowns jumping out of a tank are a sign of severe stress, poor water quality, and/or disease. From the little information you have given us so far, the most likely scenario is territorial agression from the tang or poor water quality. Please answer the questions below to try to narrow it down.

1. What are your test results for all of the following parameters?

- Salinity
- Ammonia
- Nitrate
- Nitrite
- dKH
- Temperature
- pH

2. How long has the tank been running for? Give us a timeline of when you started cycling and when each fish was added.

3. Read this entire article. http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html. Are there any symptoms mentioned there that you noticed in the clown that died or in any remaining fish?

Salinity 1.23
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Temperature 78
Ph 8.2
I have a sump with cheato and grape culerpa lights on the sump run 24/7
First fish was aded at 3 weeks that was the chromis and 2 snails there still alive all live rock and live sand 3 to 4 inches clowns and tang were aded at the same time like 1 month and half pistol shrimp 3 days after the clowns ..

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya sounds like a case of adding to much to fast, and with the added stress of the hippo tang in an entirely to small of a tank, its a recipe for disaster imo