1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Say hello to my not so little friend... GIGAS CLAM

Discussion in 'Clams - bivalve molluscs' started by JoshHill83, Jun 17, 2018.

1. JoshHill83

JoshHill83 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

I recently did something that most of my friends and family think is crazy- I picked up a gigas clam in the D.C. area and drove it straight back to Denver. I was lucky enough to be accompanied by a good friend of mine to tag team the drive, and we got him home in 26 hours. The pictures are from the first day I added him to my tank.

He’s actually much larger than I expected, and I was a little nervous about getting him in to my tank. He is approximately 26-28” long, and is a gorgeous purple with blue dots. I previously thought that my other clams were large, but this is a new level of madness for me. Enjoy the pics!

Attached Files:

quackenbush likes this.
  2. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Holy $h!t that's a huge clam. I hope that's as big as he's gonna get. He barely fits as is.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

3. halmus

halmus Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

Holy cow! Any ideas on weight?

4. zombie

I'm gonna guess about 150 based on a rough volume comparison to the record size one. I'm interested as well to see how close my guess is.

5. JoshHill83

I’m guessing he’s about 80 pounds. He has about 14” of water above him, and the tank is 4 feet front to back, so he should be good for 10-15 years in the current tank. If he grows faster than that I’ll need to either get a bigger tank or donate him to a public aquarium.

6. JoshHill83

We didn’t weigh him... we were too focused on getting him in the tank, but I don’t believe it’s over 100 lbs. He’s 13 years old.

7. JoshHill83

This is the tank it came out of:

Attached Files:

8. halmus

halmus Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

You’re getting serious about the hobby when you have to install a gantry style hoist above your tank for livestock moves!

9. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

It is fantastic. What are you lighting it with?

JoshHill83 likes this.
  10. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Don't clams use a lot of calcium? I'd be interested to see if your consumption changes drastically.

11. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

That is awesome!!! It’s a beauty too, the gigas clams aren’t always that nice looking.
    What did you need to do life support wise to get it back? Air stones? Any pumps or heaters?
    How’d you find the person selling(?) it?

JoshHill83 likes this.
  12. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Holy clam batman!

13. JoshHill83

I transported it back in a 55 gallon stock tank with a circulation pump and some air stones. I watched the temp and just adjusted the internal temp of the car to regulate it. It absorbs a ton of calcium and alkalinity. I will be testing my water twice daily for the foreseeable future until the apex trident comes out. I have t5s and LEDs above it. It came out of a tank with only t5s. I found the person on reef2reef. He had it listed for 3 years with multiple “still available” updates. I got a crazy good deal on it.

14. JoshHill83

I have a calcium reactor in case I don’t want to dose any more, otherwise I’ll be using the Apex DOS for calc and alk hourly dosing

15. ReefCheif

ReefCheif Shark Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

Hopefully that thing never tries to spawn, instant nuke. Beautiful specimen though.

16. zombie

Trident is still a ways out. The earliest it will possibly go into beta is next month, so I wouldn't expect a release until October at the earliest.

17. zombie

Trident is still a ways out. The earliest it will possibly go into beta is next month, so I wouldn't expect a release until October at the earliest. When it does release though, I'll be happy to help you get it dialed in.

JoshHill83 likes this.
  18. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I highly recommend "Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium" by James Fatherree if you don't already have it. I think it's out of print, but can probably be found on ebay for not too crazy of a price.

19. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

giga giga wow! That was worth the drive for sure. Nice work getting it back

20. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Josh that thing is awesome! Maybe I should consider a mega clam for the school tank rebuild?

kchristensen8064 likes this.