Sea urchin losing all its spikes

dmoorhead

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just added what is supposed to be reef safe a chemical - Cyano solution - to clean out the red algae/crud. My water and tank were perfect and I was told it was safe but now my beautiful urchin has lost all his spikes and I don't know if it will make it. I did a 10 gallon water change to my 90 gallon tank and turned the protein skimmer back on but I don't know if how long it will take to filter out and if it is too late. Would it be better to put him in a bucket of clean water with a heater and bubbler or would this be a bigger shock than leaving him in? Anyone have any ideas?

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Holy cow! So sorry to hear this. At this point, transferring it to a bucket with all new saltwater and a heater & bubbler (better yet, a QT tank) might be a good move. I don't know if that would stress him out more, but if there's something in the cyano solution you added that's causing this, then that's definitely stressing him.

Have you noticed an effect on your other inverts? Sometimes things are called reef safe that kill inverts, unfortunately. I wish the industry would develop clearer language when it comes to that.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a short spine urchin loose ~60% of its spines, I think it was a ph problem if I remember right, but he did snap back. A lot of people I talked with said he probably would not make it but he snapped back fine.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My electric urchin did the same thing a few weeks ago, and it was because my salinity dropped because my top off unit over filled

dmoorhead

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well my urchin did not make it. Serious bummer cuz he was very cool. Salinity was a little low, 7.5, but not crazy low and my other two urchins seem fine. Some of my things, anemone and frog spawn, are a little droopy but I am monitoring like crazy and I think they will be fine. Thanks for everyone's response.

Mccoc033

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bummer, good luck with everything else. In my limited experience fix things slowly, don't try to swing the salinity or anything else back too fast. It might stress stuff out mire