Secondary ammonia spike

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The 120 is all cycled, only 10PPM of nitrate left over. My question is how many people do the secondary ammonia spike? What I am saying is that when the tank is cycled, how many people spike the ammonia up to 2PPM again and test again in 24hrs to see if it got back down to zero? I'm thinking about doing this but was also debating doing a water change to get that nitrate out of the tank. If I do the ammonia spike should I do the water change after?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
That was for the first cycle bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm talking about ammonia cycling. Establishing bacteria in the rocks and sand

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I dont think there is much benefit from a second ammonia spike, except to test to amount the system can process, which would be kind of a false reading at this point anyway since its brand new tank.
Just let the cycle do its thing. You might be at the end of the first ammonia/nitrate cycle, but it has many more months to go to reach well-established. Adding additional spikes likely wont help it get there any faster

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;659096 said:
I dont think there is much benefit from a second ammonia spike, except to test to amount the system can process, which would be kind of a false reading at this point anyway since its brand new tank.
Just let the cycle do its thing. You might be at the end of the first ammonia/nitrate cycle, but it has many more months to go to reach well-established. Adding additional spikes likely wont help it get there any faster
What he said. I will admit letting my tank run so on is best thing I have done

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The rock I used was already cycled for about a month so I don't think too much more will happen. I did the ammonia spike in the tank to make sure bacteria was established when I stored it.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I think you're good to go. Add a small amount of livestock to allow the bacteria to thrive. If you had that rock brewing for a few weeks in a tub it's normal for the tank to show little nitrogen cycle as the bacteria colony are already established. It does take a year or more, arguably at least, to really get fully established from dry rock.