1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking 40-50 volunteers!

Discussion in 'Expert Info' started by Wet Paycheck, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Wet Paycheck

Wet Paycheck Copepod

Hey everyone. I am wondering if I can get some of you to bring me samples of your tank waters and RO waters to Reef Ed. I will have a cooler inside or outside somewhere to collect the samples. I will post instructions as soon as I get some interest. Anyway, I am a chemist and am looking at captive reef water conditions. Trace elements and things like that. So any and all donations are gladly accepted. If you want data back you can write on the container and eventually I will work up all my findings and let you know what I found and how it compares to the other tanks in Denver. Healthy tanks only please! If you keep "expert" level species successfully in your tank, I would like to know. I cannot use water that has been used to transport fish, coral, or algae. So chime in guys so I can get a count. A pee cup full is fine.

2. Sctip

Sctip Sardine M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I will bring you two sperate samples of my tanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Always happy to support research like this. I will plan on bringing a sample for you.

4. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I would be happy to bring a sample from my healthy mixed reef.

5. Wet Paycheck

Wet Paycheck Copepod

Ok so here's the drill: and thank you guys so much for helping out with this.
    With permanent marker or some kind of tag please give contact info,
    Temp of tank water and time of sampling.
    If you keep an "expert" level species, please say so with "exp"

Refrigerate samples if possible for nitrate preservation.(not required, as nitrate is something I will test for but not too concerned with at this moment)

The reason I need good contact info is because I may need to ask specifics about your operation after I look at data. i.e.: whether you run GFO or kalk or what kind of lights, algae... or anything I can think of that might help establish patterns in my data.

Also indicate if it is RO or SALT. That would be baaaad for my poor column if I ran salt as RO.

If you want to run your own diagnostics and document results for comparison, that might be useful too.
    That should be about it so far. If I think of anything else I will be sure to update.

If anyone has any questions about this you can give me a call, pm, or text and I will do my best to answer. 3-265-1761 Jay

6. Wet Paycheck

Wet Paycheck Copepod

Vendors are welcome and encouraged to participate as well

7. Irishman

Irishman Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

What would you consider a healthy tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Wet Paycheck

Wet Paycheck Copepod

Irishman likes this.
  9. Wet Paycheck

Wet Paycheck Copepod

Mainly, If your tank doesn't have an algae bloom and your corals are growing, that will work.

Irishman likes this.
  10. projectx

projectx Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Ill bring you samples of both. Ill pull em before i head to reefed

11. JodiI

JodiI Amphipod

"Algae bloom" include macro? Mine is going crazy, so I'd be willing to bet my params are different from the typical reef. Not sure if that's what you're looking for

12. Wet Paycheck

Wet Paycheck Copepod

13. Roscoe

Roscoe Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I'm game

14. Wet Paycheck

Wet Paycheck Copepod

Thanks everyone! A small group is better than no group. I look forward to meeting everyone. And anyone else can still participate.

15. Wet Paycheck

Wet Paycheck Copepod

Don't forget to grab your water samples on the way out today!

16. Sctip

Sctip Sardine M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Man I totally forgot to get the samples out of the fridge.

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.

17. Wet Paycheck

Wet Paycheck Copepod

Hey thanks for all the samples! I noticed a couple without any info on them. I will take a looksee and post back sometime soon...hopefully.If anyone else wants their samples added, you can always drop some off. I hope that we can keep this up on a regular or semi-regular basis. Build a database for everyone and count beans.

JodiI and Sctip like this.
  18. JodiI

JodiI Amphipod

I only wrote my full info on the salt one - with only my name on the RO one. I figured you could match them. Also didn't figure you needed the temp for the RO (plus I don't measure).

Good luck with your research!

19. Wet Paycheck

Wet Paycheck Copepod

Lol, I got everyone's samples there was one sample that was unmarked and looked as if it had something growing (or pooping) in it. I am going to say whoever owned that one should resample from the middle of the tank.

20. Wet Paycheck

Wet Paycheck Copepod

...and use a sharpie