Seeking 40-50 volunteers!

Hey everyone. I am wondering if I can get some of you to bring me samples of your tank waters and RO waters to Reef Ed. I will have a cooler inside or outside somewhere to collect the samples. I will post instructions as soon as I get some interest. Anyway, I am a chemist and am looking at captive reef water conditions. Trace elements and things like that. So any and all donations are gladly accepted. If you want data back you can write on the container and eventually I will work up all my findings and let you know what I found and how it compares to the other tanks in Denver. Healthy tanks only please! If you keep "expert" level species successfully in your tank, I would like to know. I cannot use water that has been used to transport fish, coral, or algae. So chime in guys so I can get a count. A pee cup full is fine.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I would be happy to bring a sample from my healthy mixed reef.

Ok so here's the drill: and thank you guys so much for helping out with this.
With permanent marker or some kind of tag please give contact info,
Temp of tank water and time of sampling.
If you keep an "expert" level species, please say so with "exp"

Refrigerate samples if possible for nitrate preservation.(not required, as nitrate is something I will test for but not too concerned with at this moment)

The reason I need good contact info is because I may need to ask specifics about your operation after I look at data. i.e.: whether you run GFO or kalk or what kind of lights, algae... or anything I can think of that might help establish patterns in my data.

Also indicate if it is RO or SALT. That would be baaaad for my poor column if I ran salt as RO.

If you want to run your own diagnostics and document results for comparison, that might be useful too.
That should be about it so far. If I think of anything else I will be sure to update.

If anyone has any questions about this you can give me a call, pm, or text and I will do my best to answer. 3-265-1761 Jay

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What would you consider a healthy tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
"Algae bloom" include macro? Mine is going crazy, so I'd be willing to bet my params are different from the typical reef. Not sure if that's what you're looking for

JodiI;n648068 said:
"Algae bloom" include macro? Mine is going crazy, so I'd be willing to bet my params are different from the typical reef. Not sure if that's what you're looking for

No, no, I was not referring to macro. You can bring samples too please.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Man I totally forgot to get the samples out of the fridge.

Ask and you may find out, don't ask and you will never know.

Hey thanks for all the samples! I noticed a couple without any info on them. I will take a looksee and post back sometime soon...hopefully.If anyone else wants their samples added, you can always drop some off. I hope that we can keep this up on a regular or semi-regular basis. Build a database for everyone and count beans.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I only wrote my full info on the salt one - with only my name on the RO one. I figured you could match them. Also didn't figure you needed the temp for the RO (plus I don't measure).

Good luck with your research!

JodiI;n648322 said:
I only wrote my full info on the salt one - with only my name on the RO one. I figured you could match them. Also didn't figure you needed the temp for the RO (plus I don't measure).

Good luck with your research!

Lol, I got everyone's samples there was one sample that was unmarked and looked as if it had something growing (or pooping) in it. I am going to say whoever owned that one should resample from the middle of the tank.