Live rock group buy

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like there may be a few people interested in some live rock. Just starting this so we can get it in the works. There’s a few places we can order from and I’m sure more we will learn about more. So who all is in?

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm down

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I’ve check the website out and had the same question as you about the Fiji. I think someone will have to call and find out.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They have no more fiji left in LA. The boat rock is all gone - they had to cancel my order. They did have some regular air-shipped rock, but it is significantly more expensive - I don't need the air-shipped stuff since nothing lives on it anyway and it looks the same as boat rock once it is cured... I just want the structure, form and bacteria which is all the same between air-freight and boat.

Somebody will pick up this slack with boat rock... but it will take a few months. ...maybe Bali? These guys have freighters and equipment that they won't want to site idle.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the info @jda123.

Saltwaterfish.com is selling 45-50 lbs of 'ultra premium Fiji live rock' for $119.99 shipping was $44.34 to my address. That's $3.29 a pound with shipping. Doesn't seem to be any breaks on shipping for quantity. I wonder if they actually have any rock in stock. I'm tempted to put in an order.

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Last edited by a moderator:

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
At that price, all of that is probably boat rock... nobody ships air-freighted rock via UPS, it goes to DIA freight (usually Southwest) to get back into water the same day that it was boxed.

None of this matters... it should still be phosphate free, full of diversity and ready to denitrify and filter the water once it is cured. This is the kind that I always buy since I see no need of paying 2-3x more for all of the surface stuff to die in the cycle.

I cannot find anybody with 300-500 lbs. There are only a few places in LA that have rock, so I would not be shocked if all of these places are out of stock. Please post if you get some confirmation that your order is inbound.

FWIW, and I will keep my soap-box short, this rock is significantly cheaper than using dry/dead rock and paying later on for all of the issues with it.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My boxes shipped for arrival on Thursday. I guess that they have live rock. I would get it while you can... it might be a while once this is gone.