Seneye release date?

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I was wondering about when the seneye release day is and how much it's going to cost I saw that it's going to be $8 a month and the monitor is supposed to be under $200. They say every month your supposed to replace the read card any info on these?

300 gallon mixed reef
90 gallon bowfront fowlr

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
wow i didn't realize there was going to be a monthly fee ...boo to that

rangerbobb

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
That looks like a pretty cool device. I like it mainly for the PAR, LUX, and Kelvin of lights. Cheaper than a PAR meter, but you can also follow the color shift of your lights.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can't tell me it wouldn't be nice to not have to test water all the time

300 gallon mixed reef
90 gallon bowfront fowlr

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is more information:

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/21/seneye-unboxed/

I also saw this comment on the bottom of the item list. * require consumable slides which last 1 month each. seneye+ service includes shipment of slides to your house. The reason for the consumable slides is to eliminate the need for calibration. Sounds like the consumable slides come with the service.

For the price I would think that a Apex JR with PM1 and PH probe would give you more functionality. The Seneye is not a controller, so you won't be able to control your lights, ATO, or anything else. It will just warn you when something is out of wack. Probably great for beginners, but not as good for automation.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Other things to note about the Seneye.

1) As you might know, the Seneye devices require the USB connection connected into the computer, otherwise the unit will not work.
2) WiFi sender – Allows for a connection with a computer via local WiFi network.

If you don't have a computer available Seneye will be releasing a wireless/internet/computer unit to upload the data or you can go with one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220072

David

rangerbobb

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what I read, you only need new slides (& monthly fee) if you want to check pH and NH3. I am way more interested in the light features of the unit.

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll see if I can get a date. The last I heard they are just working out the distribution details to get it to the states.

Also, out doesn't have to be plugged in to a computer to run. They also have a power adapter that will power it. It will then log data and load out to a computer when it's plugged in.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers
Sent from Tapatalk

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's exactly what I was thinking. Even without constant monitoring via computer, the Seneye monitor does more than enough to justify the money. It's just another line of defense.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers
Sent from Tapatalk

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Espeacially with the kidos huh! They take up quite a bit of time lol

300 gallon mixed reef
90 gallon bowfront fowlr

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;118653 said:
Espeacially with the kidos huh! They take up quite a bit of time lol

300 gallon mixed reef
90 gallon bowfront fowlr
Yeah, for sure.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers
Sent from Tapatalk

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
So what makes this thing so special? I don't really see anything revolutionary or new aside that its an all in one that you can just drop it in the tank.

Sent from my HTC Incredible

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;118698 said:
So what makes this thing so special? I don't really see anything revolutionary or new aside that its an all in one that you can just drop it in the tank.

Sent from my HTC Incredible
It's a device that measures Ph, ammonia, nitrate, LUX, PAR, spectrum, temperature, and gives you predictive advice on how to interpret the data. It does all of this for about $200. I don't see anything about it that's been done before.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ah, the price is the big thing. There are multiple controllers on the market that will do all of the above.

Now reading reefbuilders, they original said it would be able to control things (I.E. light cycle, etc). Then I saw a post saying it just gives readings. For $200 that isn't that bad. You figure a year worth of PH, ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, test kits would cost about that much if you are testing daily.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;118713 said:
Ah, the price is the big thing. There are multiple controllers on the market that will do all of the above.

Now reading reefbuilders, they original said it would be able to control things (I.E. light cycle, etc). Then I saw a post saying it just gives readings. For $200 that isn't that bad. You figure a year worth of PH, ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, test kits would cost about that much if you are testing daily.
i dunno ...personally i already have a ph monitor and of the other 3 i might test nitrate 4-5 times a year and thats it