seriatopora vs Pocillopora vs birdsnest

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have never been great at remembering names of corals, I just buy what looks cool at the time. But as my tank is growing, I have a couple of "pora" SPS types of SPS's that I will probably trim in the near future and DBTC them.

Is there an easy way to describe the difference between a seriatopora vs Pocillopora vs birdsnest? They all appear to be very similar. I was first thinking the birdsnests were pointy, but I've found some online that look like pocillopora to me.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I thought seriatopora was birdsnest??

I know birdsnest is going to grow more to pointy tips where as pocillopora will be more rounded at the tips, at least thats what Ive noticed. IME pocillopora has more polyp extension than birdsnest too and will look alot more "hairy", but Im far from and SPS expert so Im hoping you stick freaks can chime in here.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Seriatopa hystrix is a thin branch pointy birdsnest. Seriatopa guttatus is also a birdsnest but with thicker branches and more blunt ends. Pocillopora damicornis has tighter branches and also more rounded, more polyps

The most common that's been sold in the aquarium trade is Pocillopora damicornis. It's been aqucultured since the mid 1990's so generally its much hardier. But I've always sold it as Cauliflower. There is one more that's not been mentioned that's been sold as "birds nest". That's Stylophora pistillata that normally has thicker branches with blunt ends. This too is commonly found in the aquarium market.