She's not gonna kill me build thread!!

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so first post and have been given blessing of the wife for a new build.
Tank 150 marineland cube with starfire front.
Sump will be plumped into basement and will be a 150 g trough.
Reeflo sword tail will be used for the return
Lighting as of now will be 6-8 t5 with to euro aquatic led bulbs
2 gyre 150 and a sicce power head for tank flow.
Mrc calcium reactor
2 pm reactors or gfo and carbon as needed.
44 pounds live pukani
88 pounds live tokota

One burning question is what skimmer I want to use.
Skimz octa sm 205i
Or Reef Octopus sro 3000 or 5000 ext

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;641769 said:
Mine is a 170 int with the DC pump, so smaller than what you are looking for. But, dead silent....
What was it that you had to contact costumer service for. I love good customer service but when I hear that often from a company I question why.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It was not for the Reef Octopus exactly, but it was to Coral Vue who manages the product. My calls have been about the Gyre 150.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got nearly the same setup and I'm running a 6000ext. Overkill, and a little loud, but it's an amazing skimmer.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chris_W;641781 said:
I've got nearly the same setup and I'm running a 6000ext. Overkill, and a little loud, but it's an amazing skimmer.
What would you compare the noise to. What pump are you using to feed it with. I am really leaning towards the skimz do to limited noise

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can hear the hum from the BB pump pulling air in. It's not too bad, particularly in a fish room in the basement. I certainly wouldn't put it in my living room though. It's a trade off for a boat load of flexibility for adding to the system.

Currently I'm feeding it with an old rio pump I had lying around ~900gph. I've got one of those cheapie jebao dc5000's that I'm about to hook it up to.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chris_W;641823 said:
You can hear the hum from the BB pump pulling air in. It's not too bad, particularly in a fish room in the basement. I certainly wouldn't put it in my living room though. It's a trade off for a boat load of flexibility for adding to the system.

Currently I'm feeding it with an old rio pump I had lying around ~900gph. I've got one of those cheapie jebao dc5000's that I'm about to hook it up to.
Well my worry is the person sleeping in basement just off from the fish room

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
What's that they say ? This thread is worthless with out pics?

Jk bro anxious to see the new build

Last edited by a moderator: