Silicone question

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I picked up a tank today for a steal. It needs some tlc, part of which is some silicone. There are a couple spots where the silicone has been pulled out of the corner but the seam itself is intact. Silicone all around appears relatively fresh otherwise.
I have not yet done a leak test but it supposedly is intact. If it does hold water, do i need to disassemble the whole thing or can i just run a bead in the corner?

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it holds water I would just redo the seems in the corner, not between the glass. Just use a razor blade and cut the silicon off (making sure not to hit the silicon between the glass), and then apply a bead to each corner and smooth it out. Apply a line of tape to the sides of the corners to make it look better.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice. I saw that one on craigslist and ... Wife said i have too many projects already. Imagine that. How were the lights on it?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I would cut out all the silicon and reseal the whole thing, better to be safe then sorry. Resealing is pretty easy overall anyway so no reason not to do it. All you need to do is cutout all the old silicon except the part holding the glass together. Use some masking tape to outline the edges of each seal, and then lay a decent bead down. After you lay all the seals back down remove the tape and then let it sit for 2 days of so to dry. Leak test and you should be good.