Singapore Angel, acclimation, care, etc

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anyone have any luck with Singapore angels? Are they hard to acclimate to the tank? I bought one a week ago, and it was doing really well. Went into hiding yesterday, and today found him laying on his side, breathing hard, couldnt swim, etc. Had to take it out of the tank, rip. Tested all my water parameters,and they are right where they should be.

Any tips, ideas, etc? Id love to get another one, as they are really neat looking fish.

Thank you in advance.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chain of ownership in captivity is a huge deal with these. They are from an area where some still collect with cyanide, or other not-so-good means. If you get another one, try and get one from a good retailer that knows where it came from and that it was kept at reef salinity the whole time. If you get one that was well collected and well cared for, then they are pretty hardy. I would try liveaquaria next time, if you didn't this time... they don't like to buy/sell cyanide fish since they guarantee them.

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;n636192 said:
Chain of ownership in captivity is a huge deal with these. They are from an area where some still collect with cyanide, or other not-so-good means. If you get another one, try and get one from a good retailer that knows where it came from and that it was kept at reef salinity the whole time. If you get one that was well collected and well cared for, then they are pretty hardy. I would try liveaquaria next time, if you didn't this time... they don't like to buy/sell cyanide fish since they guarantee them.
Thank you very much for your advice. I will look into that. The one I got was a fairly small one....maybe an older one would do better acclimating??