Sk8now2003 buyer beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I didn't want to post this but I tried resolving it on my own and he doesn't think anything is wrong. I purchased a 4ft 100 gallon tank from him a week and a half ago. The tank was covered in algae and you couldn't see a thing ( ask cindy). Shame on me for not checking the tank closer before I left. I asked a few times about scratches in the tank and was told repeatedly "nothing major". Well long story short I got around to cleaning the tank last night and it is scratched everywhere. I mean 6 or 8 major gouges and looks like it was cleaned with a damn brillow pad. I contacted him and he toldme I should have taken a closer look at the tank and "sorry doesn't know what to tell me" I tried to settle this on my own. I realize I should have made him clean the glass before I left to verify condition. I knew I would have to do some work to the tank as well. It needed an overflow replaced and 4 new bulkheads. Hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Originally Posted by sk8now2003
Originally Posted by xjmav

Originally Posted by sk8now2003

Originally Posted by xjmav
So I just got done cleaning the algae off the tank finally and I'm not happy. You told me the tank and " nothing major " when it came to scratches. This tank is ****ed. There are scratches everywhere. My fault for taking your word for it and not looking closely but this iksn't right. What can we do to make it right? I'm out 100 bucks and I have a tank that is useless.

Thanks
Austin

i don't remember there being any major scratches. I figured you looked at the tank to confirm. Are you sure the tank didn't get scratched during the trip?

Nothing was in the tank during the trip. All the scratches are on the inside. I took it from the trailer to my garage and that's it. Cut the patches off the bulkheads and flushed the remaining sand out. Then I used a glass safe algae wand that i rinsed every 30 seconds to get the crap off the sides and that's when the scratches became visible. No way to see them with the thick algae on the sides. I'd say 75% or more of the tank has scratches. I should have checked closer. I was in a hurry to get it out. If I had seen them, I would have never taken the tank.

the stand alone is worth a hundred, I didn't think the tank had "major" scratches. I had no problem with visibility due to scratches. What are you expecting for compensation?

Reply to Private Message
Forward

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
sk8now2003
Clownfish

Join DateMar 2012Posts188Chats11
[h=2]Re: Tank[/h]
I don't see "major" scratches from the pics, especially for a tank and stand that hold water for 100$. I'm not sure what you want, but I think i think you should've taken a better look to be sure your definition of major scratches was the same. I had no problem with the tank I saw through it perfectly fine. I consider major scratches, gouges or excessive wear to where you cannot see in the tank. I could see everything perfectly clear on the tank. Don't know what to tell you.​

Reply to Private Message
Forward

[HR][/HR]

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hate to say it, but I'm gonna side with the seller on this one.

1. Your definition and his definition of "nothing major"" is the crux of the issue. When someone tells me nothing major, I'd be looking at it closely as that sounds like a red flag to me.
2. You picked up the tank, and failed to inspect it closely, you said you "were in a rush to get it out".
3. If you had doubts, you coulda walked away.

I'm not sure what you expect for a $100 tank and stand?

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Regardless of whose fault it was, it sucks to buy something that turns out to be unusable. I had the same thing happen with the first used tank I bought about two months ago. I did not notice that the brace was cracked, and when I filled the tank the brace and the trim edge broke. I was lucky to get it emptied before it spilled all over the place.

Moral of the story, which you already know firsthand, is to inspect everything bought used with a critical eye.

I have a used 90 gallon glass, drilled, w/stand, sump, T5 fixture, pump, etc. that I broke down two weeks ago that is about to be for sale. Unfortunately it is going to be a lot more than $100 for the setup.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
it looks to me like both of you are at fault
1) you should of checked the tank better, Live and learn though right?
2) from the looks of it, and sounds of it i agree with you that he was trying to pull a quick one, and you got took for it.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just for giggles, where's the original ad? I'm curious to see if it was misleading.

How is the seller pulling a quick one? If the seller said the tank was mint, and shipped it, I'd be with the buyer. It's not like it was bought sight unseen.

I should note, I don't know the buyer or seller, and I have no dog in this fight. Just trying to look at it from my perspective (not right nor wrong)

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ill be the first to admit I shouls have looked closer. The tank wasn't fully broken down, 100% covered in algaeAnd I had other places to be after. It took a lot longer toload than I wanted. Just use my mistake as a lesson. Check your stuff better than I did

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
o wouldnt worry so much about width wide scratches disappear it is the deep scratches you have to worry about i vote plug the tank up and see how many scratches you see when it is filled with water

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, I do not know sk8now2003, but I do know xjmav (Austin), and feel he is an ethical/honest person. Looking at this transaction, I would say for $100 he got a pretty good deal, but was it an honest/ethical transaction. Probably not, but that is from just reading this post, and not being part of any of the other private conversations.

I would ask Austin, how much he would have paid for the tank and the stand, knowing the scratches are there, and also would he still have purchased it? Maybe he would have just purchased the stand.

Also, is sk8now willing to take anything back, or refund any of the purchase price?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
kutcha;274659 said:
o wouldnt worry so much about width wide scratches disappear it is the deep scratches you have to worry about i vote plug the tank up and see how many scratches you see when it is filled with water
+1

I to believe you both are at fault, the seller Knows that tank better than anyone and I would venture to say he knew about the scratches but you looked at it before you bought it and even though there was algae on the tank you should have done more than take his word on it. With that being said I do believe the seller should try to make it right with you because he miss represented the tank to you and gave you false information just to make the sale. Just remember taking someones WORD FOR IT is only as good as the person its coming from.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;274670 said:
+1

I to believe you both are at fault, the seller Knows that tank better than anyone and I would venture to say he knew about the scratches but you looked at it before you bought it and even though there was algae on the tank you should have done more than take his word on it. With that being said I do believe the seller should try to make it right with you because he miss represented the tank to you and gave you false information just to make the sale. Just remember taking someones WORD FOR IT is only as good as the person its coming from.
But I also believe this is a communality, and within that community there should be some trust. This is not craigslist, or ebay. I have been burned, and I have also tried to go out of my way to make sure everything I sell is what the buyer expected or better.

When I sell a tank, I explain what kind of scratches exist and whether they can be seen when the tank is filled, and gone so far as to demonstrate by filling it. In this case, I don't think I would have trusted that all was well under the algae, but when you're in a hurry and you trust that someone would disclose that (and maybe that is not as common as we would hope), I can see where you could get into trouble. I would hope as sellers that we would all let people know some pretty basic stuff without them asking, like 'it leaks like a sieve', 'the trim in back is cracked', 'you'll have to reseal it', or 'a family of raccoons was raised in it' but I've been burned before. I am in the market now for a used tank and this reminds me to do my homework and make sure I know what I am buying - I would bet you were a little uncomfortable asking the seller to clean the thing prior to you handing over the dough when it was only $100.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is a community, and there should be trust, that's why I believe sk8now2003 knowing or not knowing about the scratches should ultimately rectify the situation in an attempt to regain trust.

That does not relieve the fact that xjmav did not do his homework before purchasing an item and needs to think twice next time before he buys an item based on someones word.

In my business if I do something wrong I take accountability for it and make it right with my customer NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES!! Its called good business and sk8now2003 can choose to do good business or bad business the choice is his.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" when it comes to used stuff. If you are buying something used look it over/test it carefully before you hand over your money. From a sellers perspective if he is getting out of the hobby completely I doubt he will care. If he is staying in the hobby and in this community he should encourage buyers to look used items he is selling over carefully. I dont think this is a "buyer beware of seller" situation though. I think the post should read more like " take your time and do your due dilligence when buying used items". If you bought something sight unseen and already paid and the description didnt match or paid and received nothing then it is a buyer beware situation. Hopefully a valuable lesson can be learned for both buyers and sellers here for the future.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm amazed anyone buys anything that isn't cleaned.

When I sell stuff, I soak in vinegar, and clean it as much as possible. I want it to look as nice as possible, allow the buyer to see it's true condition, and finally get a better price.

I think looking at the condition of the tank and stand in its original condition would have been enough of a warning sign.

I wasn't trying to pull a "fast" one. I think this is ridiculous. I had absolutely no problem with visibility due to scratches when the tank was full. I never said the tank was "mint" nor should you expect a mint tank and stand for $100. I didn't try rushing you out the door and you could've not bought it. I could've easily sold it to someone else for $100. I could've sold the stand for $100. In no way was I misleading or pulling a bait and switch. you saw the tank, you wanted it. end of story. I bet once it's full you wont notice anything, I didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.