Slight loss in color

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've been noticing my Red Planet and SSC seem to be bleaching slightly. Absolutely nothing has changed in the tank, no swings, all parameters in check. No change in lights or feeding.

Both pieces have awesome PE and seem happy, just losing some color.

I'm currently running GFO and carbon through a BRS reactor. I'm wondering if the GFO may be keeping the water "too clean" and some color is lacking. Any thoughts on stopping the GFO and continuing carbon??

Again, everything is happy and growing in the tank, just losing color in these 2 pieces. I thought about moving the two pieces but both are fully encrusted on rocks that cannot be moved.

Curious to hear your thoughts/experiences

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea I may need to increase the AP dosage per day. No change in my lights or schedule which makes me believe it's nutrient related. No changes in flow and no recent additions. I did lose 2 small chromis since the others didn't want them in there anymore so maybe the drop in nutrients there too.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could reduce the quantity of GFO and vodka as well and that will allow a slight increase in nutrients to just below detectable levels.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
My red planet was the reason I switched my gfo to only run a few hours a day. It kept turning brown and not looking very good when I ran gfo 24-7 but since switching it started coloring up again, so gonna try and remove the gfo fairly soon too.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Other thing is to monitor your Alkalinity. My colony tends to act up when mine is too low. It's the first sign that my dosing pump might be clogged...

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
See mine isn't brown, it's got a bright green base since I have it lower in the tank but the red is turning to a light pink and looks bleached

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Slight loss in color

So I took my GFO offline on Saturday to see if that would help. PE is still great and everything seems happy, just losing color. Parameters are as follows:

SG: 1.025
NO3: 0
Alk: 8.6 dKH
CA: 400
MG: 1275
Po3: .07

Thoughts?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I'd try raising the mag a bit to around 1350 or so. i'd also try moving it up a bit more and see what it does

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well with the removal of the GFO, the colors on my SPS are coming back nicely. I'm thinking I may have been stripping the water of nutrients and starving the corals. I also added a few more fish and that seems to be helping add necessary nutrients as well

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I gradually took the GFO offline but am still running carbon. Seems to be a good balance and everything is happy. GFO has been completely offline for over a week