Small Engine Mechanic

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can trade cash, high-end SPS or Zoas and I even have a bunch of nice used tanks and equipment.

I have an old Kaw fb460v that will not spark. I replaced the ignitor and coil and it will not spark or even fire on starting fluid. The flywheel magnet appears strong. I am out of my realm here and need some help. The mower is big and I cannot really move it too well. I am in Longmont.

More details:
Compression is good
Carb is rebuilt, but it won't even fire on starting fluid

I am a pretty good mechanic, but I am lost on this one. If you are a pro and need a job, then please send me a PM.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Checked your spark plug wires? Check the tolerance between the igniter and flywheel may be to big if a gap?

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
A dumb question, but have you replace the spark plugs? Sometime carbon builds up so much it won't spark. Most of the time if you tried everything, usually its the ignition coil thats bad. You might need a dvom for this. If you're not getting any spark period, I would check if there's any short to ground anywhere especially the ignition switch giving that all compression/gas/air is good

Re: Small Engine Mechanic

+ 1 yodaddy check ground, spark plug gap on plug make sure plug wires are good, gap at fly wheel let us know hope it helps

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The plug wire came on the new coil, so it is new too. The spark plug will spark on a tester. The magnet gap is OK according to the manual. This one is killing me.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Duh...can't read. You already replaced the ignitor, lol

Check the terminal where the coil grounds to to the engine/mower. It may just be rusted and in need of a little cleaning to complete the circuit and get the engine to fire.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got it to spark by replacing the wire (full of that grey dust) between the ignitor and coil with the plug laying on the block. I ground the valve stems down (not adjustable) for better seat. The darn thing will still not fire on starting fluid. I am ready to take the torch to it and melt it.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Small Engine Mechanic

With everything you've done already I'm assuming you already checked this off your list...

but have you checked the condition of the air filter? I know I've worked on one in the past and flipped it over to work on it without thinking...soaked the air filter in motor oil and it wouldn't start.

How strong of a spark are you getting from the plug?

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Without really looking at it myself i really couldn't tell. But it seems like you have done a lot of things i would do giving that I'm not even there. All i can really think of right now is try cleaning out the carb (rebuilding it) as sometimes it gets too clogged. And sometime you spray so much of starter fluid it wets the spark plug that you might have to dry it or else it wont spark. Or you might even have a bad new ignition coil. I'm thinking since its so old of an engine, did you actually did an compression test to see the specification?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
...so it turns out the the block had enough gunk on it keep the coil from grounding. Once I took a wire wheel to it the block where the coil bolted on, it sparked right up. The old ignitor was bad too - it would spark, but barely. While I had the motor apart, I re-ringed it and ground the valves. It runs really strong and starts on the first pull - not bad for a 21 year old motor. My $200 Craigslist Bob Cat 36" walk behind is almost mowing like a champ... just a few minutes lubing up the spring loaded clutch/pulley and the speed will dial in and I will be set for a lot of year. Man, this thing really mows better than the Home Depot/Lowes/etc. yard mowers.... nothing like a lot of tip speed. :)