small white shells moving around

So I had my lights off to move one anemone and caught these guys in a pile, they sorta "scattered" with the flash light on em but moved real slow. I would say they were about 1/4 the size of a grain of rice. Any clue on what it could be?

View attachment 13264

Woah! I will def keep an eye out on my other snails. I haven't added anything in over a year in exception to some coral at reefstock. I will update! Looking at the video I am thinking maybe a bit bigger than i described but still tiny.

I referenced the video and am going to say wider thatn a grain of white rice and just about as long. I keep looking and they are no where to be found but, the tiny shells in my sand are about the same. Maybe something spawned and they used those shells? Oh I also grabbed all my snails and looked for the little ones on them, nothing so far.

Update, no deaths or attachment to the astria snails and there are less than before. They are not
much bigger but are still hanging around. How long would nass babies stay babies? They don't come out with the lights on either. Any suggestions?

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you have any clams? If so take them out and inspect the shell and the byssal gland for those devil snails. They definitely look like pyramid snails to me and I lost two very healthy clams to them in the past. Very hard to get rid of. I literally had to wait until my lights had been off for about 3 hours and then inspect the tank and clams every night. Manual removal was the only thing that helped.

No clams, it's Mixed reef and nothing has died since posting about them. They are very busy on the rock work at night, like they are eating algea or crud? Not sure but when i can walk downstairs again I'll take pics if possible. I didn't think pyrmid cause they haven't attached to another snail and seem to have a good source of food that doesn't include tank mates. I think I'll fish one out as soon as possible fora closer look!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Do you have any thing transparent and red you could put over the flash light? wont scare them off then and could get a better look at them

I use a dimmable red led light I used for astronomy class. It's awesome to watch all the night life in the tank though. It's horrible for taking pictures thou.