Smileys Place

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I now have the 125... sitting on sawhorses.... to be drilled and an overflow built... thought maybe id use an old glass lid for a 55 to make the overflow.. wish i had my old ones lol. also found my bucket of plumbing, all my electrical, both apex units, and my lighting...need to figure out what i will use for return pump still..it was suggested to use a reeflo...

still have a ton of dryloking to do.... any volunteers?

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

glass overflow

glass overflow

dryloking walls - what a pain in the ass

refugium/sump stand in place

work in progress.....

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
still a lot more to drylok but i have the walls done that tanks will be sitting against...now comes the part of figuring out plumbing, tank placement, and mixing station setup.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have two 55g blue barrels, with only the two bung holes in each. I need some ideas on how to set these up as a mixing station. One for SW, other for RO/DI which will serve as ATO water as well. Im figuring my system will hold about 750g total volume, so a 55g wc once a week should be sufficient..

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Following along. This is going to be great to see come together.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
dude this shit sucks....
the whole building phase...
include in there the planning as you go method...
i'm only thinking about doing the things that need to be done before i can do what i want to do.
the wall sealing before spring leakage...
the electrical that needs to be done.....
the floors...
omg the floors...
wtf to do?
paint, stain, stone tile?
eh...
at least im moving forward...
hahahahahaha.
fuge is almost ready for water....
still need a damn return pump and some plumbing parts...
apparently my bucket-o-fittings does not contain anything i need atm.
someone gave me an under gravel filter for a 75g, wondering if maybe running that reverse in the fuge...
put all the rock on it...
has anyone ever tried that?

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
geez....
another trip to lowes/homedepot....
wonder if i should plan my manifold before then....
fuck....
and build a wc station...
lumber!
omg...
paint...
Matt! still have that 90g tank/stand?

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Older post, but as far as the undergravel filter plate. I've seen folk advocate them on cryptic sumps. You just stick a hose down the pipe stand opening in it to vacuum out the excess build up that otherwise chokes them over time with the minimal flow.

As far as rock. I'm voting what I'm doing. Mostly dry to save on cost, especially if it's already been cooked and is clean. Then just seed with 50-100 lbs of TBS saltwater florida cultured rock. (I'm planning to QT the rock itself looking for any major pests like flatworms, aiptasia etc.) Should be a great kickstart and much cheaper than trying to order 300+ lbs of live stuff.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
the undergravels are going bye bye.... thought about using them under my rock and reverse flow to keep detritus suspended... changed my mind though... going to go dsb with 75lb rock... the rock was free and dry so its been soaking in ro/di for weeks... was reading about giving them a vinegar bath for a couple days then back to ro/di bath for a bit... I'm getting closer to water but still need to do some plumbing... going to run an old mag pump for the fuge til i can afford a reeflo. hoping i can find one used..... at least ill be able to run it...

biggest issue to face is electrical....its been so long since ive done electrical, dont know where and how i should approach it. Everything is completely open, but i need a circuit or two added to the basement...maybe three... not sure..

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like a heck of a project, I have some no dry rock that was live, its been outside cooking in the sun for weeks. might have 20 or 30 lbs, let me know.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fred dose some lanthanum chloride in the rock soak container to help leach out any remaining organics and then soak it again in RO/di