Smiley's Salt System

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picked up a second reefbrite strip 48" blue. Gen1 which is dimmable. Also scored a 120 from Great White (Thanks Vince!) but need to get a stand for it. I'll have Craigar start building it as soon as I get back from San Diego. The stand will have to fit a 48x24 footprint sump for later use..also have a 6" lip around it so my cats can perch on it to stare at the fishes.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just got back from Vacation and snapped a pick. I assume no food was introduced into the tank while I was away, but yet my yellow watchman is fat as hell. Macros are doing good, however i lost the red grape and the ulva macros a few weeks ago. Time to start working on the display tank portion to add to the system.

[attachment=64128:name]

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=64129:name]
[attachment=64130:name]
[attachment=64131:name]
[attachment=64132:name]

and here is a red dragon recovering from whatever/whoever tried to kill it.... along with some green polyp blue base sps im holding for andrew.
[attachment=64133:name]

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Building my 75g sump today. Spent the last 2 weeks scraping out all the old silicon, and noticed a sticker saying the tank was built in May of 1985.....

[attachment=64160:name]

Layout of sump:
[attachment=64161:name]

Should have it all resealed by the end of the day, i'll put the baffles in tomorrow.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
While Im waiting to have a stand built, I thought about a few other things.

People are running wastewater from RO/DI outside to water plants and stuff. I have water storage outside, but I am wondering about something.....If my water storage is 5ft above ground level, can I just run 1/4" or 1/2" tubing from it with drippers for each individual plant i want to irrigate? I am assuming gravity will force water out to the drippers, but at what length will it push it? I plan on about 50ft with 6 drippers...

Also, has anyone used wastewater for a freshwater planted tank? would it work? thinking about a planted tank for my quest bedroom/2nd office.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
yes..... craiger sent me a pic of the stand via text. It looks awesome but I accidentally deleted all my texts thus losing the pics. Hopefully he sees this and posts pics of it here for me lol.

Anyway, it will still need to be stained, which will take me a few days lol

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pics of the stand Craiger built. Hoping to have it delivered this next week, depending on schedules. Need to decide stain color, and still need to find a top.

[attachment=64743:name]
[attachment=64744:name]

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Smiley's Salt System

Stand looks great! What are your plans as far as staining/painting it?

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Smiley's Salt System

Depends on which room my wife wants it in. Living room will be clear stain, office will be a dark stain.

Sent from my C771

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Whats up Fred you got a display tank up and running yet? Where you stashing all these corals I know you have now that you're acclimate to the elevation? lol

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok...so here ya go.... stand is delivered and sitting in place... still needs to be finished... still looking for a top... cant get a match to my kitchen counters so thinking other possibilities. Anyone know where I can find a 1"+ thick red oak plank 32" wide and 6ft long?

[attachment=64836:name]

Here is my replacement fuge and sump... larger than the 55/46 combo i have currently running. Still need to build a stand to accommodate them.

[attachment=64838:name]

And here is the frag tank.....

[attachment=64839:name]

Time is the only thing holding me back, as well as the fact that i keep changing my mind on how and where i want it all to flow.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Menards has a slab that I can order for around $150, think its 1"x36"x96". Might be my best option. I heard Sears trostel might also have oak slabs... ill check them out today.

Sent from my C771

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
looking good.