Looking for “high quality” deionized water

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Im looking for “high quality” deionized water, and not what comes out of an RODI.

Bought a Hannah Calcium checker that ive never been able to use. The DI water out of my RODI must not be pure enough (even thought TDS coming out is 000) as the checker either gives false readings or wont read at all. Hannah sells it but its quiet pricey. Wondering if anyone has any local, cheaper suggestions.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Test it for what? I have an inline TDS meter, color changing DI, and I regularly check the chlorine coming out of the carbon block. I run cation and anion DI resin in seperate canisters. The issue is not my RO water, the issue is our residentail hobby grade RODI do not produce pure enough water for the Calcium Hannah checker to read accuratly. Ive tried water from multiple units amd have had the same outcome eachtime.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow that image is crap. Heres a pdf of my rodi results View attachment 12621
Ok I am going to say.... HUH?? This was "0" TDS water??? If that is true, than that is scary. Could explain some issues that has me scratching my head.

Im looking for “high quality” deionized water, and not what comes out of an RODI.
Bought a Hannah Calcium checker that ive never been able to use. The DI water out of my RODI must not be pure enough (even thought TDS coming out is 000) as the checker either gives false readings or wont read at all. Hannah sells it but its quiet pricey. Wondering if anyone has any local, cheaper suggestions.

I gave up on Hannah calcium. PIA in my opinon. I just use the red sea pro kit, and do a comparison every now and then.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok I am going to say.... HUH?? This was "0" TDS water??? If that is true, than that is scary. Could explain some issues that has me scratching my head.

I gave up on Hannah calcium. PIA in my opinon. I just use the red sea pro kit, and do a comparison every now and then.
I did need to change out my di resin at that point.

and am in the process of using up all the rest of my mix bed and switching to a 3 stage because of issues ive been having perhaps rooting in water.. My tap tds is mid 300s so hoping that change will solve water issues in the long run.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Neither of you are using high flow RO membranes (larger than 75 gpd) are you? If so that would explain the trace elements getting through since they are much less efficient than 50-75 gpd and reduce contact time with DI resin, which makes that stage less efficient too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Neither of you are using high flow RO membranes (larger than 75 gpd) are you? If so that would explain the trace elements getting through since they are much less efficient than 50-75 gpd and reduce contact time with DI resin, which makes that stage less efficient too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app
I am using a 75 gpd unit with a boost pump. My post membrane TDS averages 3 ppm. 0 TDS after DI

Sincerely thinking of ICP testing my water however.