Snails on auto pilot

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
We have some black and brown "shelless" snails in our tank. They work hard, but they are increasing their population. This a.m. I watched one of them - seriously - smoking [?] and he kept ejecting small smoke rings for a while [talented too]. So, at what point are these things a problem to be dealt with as opposed to an oddity. Right now I can count about 5 or 6 of them, but wonder if we should be trying to wrestle them out or.....just not sure.

I am concerned that what I saw was spawning so I thought I would like to know what others have experienced with these.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster

Look like this? That is a Stomatella snail. They are harmless algae grazers. And ya you were likely watching them spawn as they tend to do fairly frequently

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the visual Syn! Yes, this is what we have - black and brown both. Really glad they are not a prob as they are bad*** grazers - work harder than anyone but the Trocus.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Stomatellas are aweosme and if youd like to get rid of some Id be happy to take osme off your hands.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
High Plains Reefer;321461 said:
my snails are on auto pilot too stomatellas and trochus breeding away its a good thing

Really relieved - and just got our first Trocus and would love for him to duplicate!