Snails

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I picked up another camera. This time a full frame Canon 6D. Definitely a bit trickier to get the super close macros but I bought it for landscapes and architecture so that wasn't really the plan anyway. I couldn't help but try it with the 100mm macro though. I still prefer the APS-C crop sensor of my 70D for macros but loving this camera none the less! Went to practice with it the other day and got a couple nice pics of this snail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks!

Since people have been asking me about what settings Im using Ill try to remeber to start posting them.

Top Pic:
ISO 400, F/14, 1/160sec

Bottom Pic:
ISO 400, F/10, 1/160sec

I did use a mono-pod for these.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Do you use manual or auto focus on your full frame camera? Just curious, I have a full frame Sony that I am trying to learn how to use.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Where did you find the snail? I've been looking for large land snails but since they're invasive they are hard to get.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ValG;366904 said:
Do you use manual or auto focus on your full frame camera? Just curious, I have a full frame Sony that I am trying to learn how to use.
Oh God! I LOVE the Sony's! Which one did you get? If I knew what I do now I would have skipped Canon and went straight to the Sony Alpha R MkII. Sony is definitely thew game changer in the industry right now IMO.

That said the sensor size for me dosnt dictate if I use manual focus or not its really the type of picture I am shooting. For macros I always use manual focus full frame or not. In fact for true macro I always go full manual on everything its actually much easier in my opinion (unless there is just tons of natural light then Aperture Priority mode with MF is good)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;366905 said:
Where did you find the snail? I've been looking for large land snails but since they're invasive they are hard to get.
In the Garden at the butterfly pavilion. I'm there almost every week usually on Tuesdays to practice my macro.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Walter White;366906 said:
Oh God! I LOVE the Sony's! Which one did you get? If I knew what I do now I would have skipped Canon and went straight to the Sony Alpha R MkII. Sony is definitely thew game changer in the industry right now IMO.

That said the sensor size for me dosnt dictate if I use manual focus or not its really the type of picture I am shooting. For macros I always use manual focus full frame or not. In fact for true macro I always go full manual on everything its actually much easier in my opinion (unless there is just tons of natural light then Aperture Priority mode with MF is good)
Actually Im going to add to this. IMO I use manual focus any time depth of field is what Im trying to use to accentuate the shot I want. AF takes away the creative element. AF is great for high speed shooting. I do use AF when shooting fish. For this I try to go with Shutter priority mode at 1/250sec and ISO set to auto. This dosnt always work though sometimes Auto ISO just goes to high to like 3200+ which is probably fine if your not going to crop in on the subject. For me though I find it creates too much noise so in that case I will use AF and adjust manual setting for everything else usually with Aperture opened all the way up and the lowest ISO the camera can handle and still get a decent exposure.

Using the Sony though you might really have the upper hand for shooting fish. The Sony sensors can go supper high on ISO without much noise.

Keep im mind This is just the way I do things. Im still learning myself. Im sure if there are any pros out there they can offer up something better.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
We went with RX1. It's been great so far, we've taken it on a few trips with us so far and got some amazing shots even for me being a total newbie in this. Now trying to get better with manual settings and shooting macro. So much to learn! Just like reefing. And thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge by the way!!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ValG;366910 said:
We went with RX1. It's been great so far, we've taken it on a few trips with us so far and got some amazing shots even for me being a total newbie in this. Now trying to get better with manual settings and shooting macro. So much to learn! Just like reefing. And thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge by the way!!
That's an awesome camera! I believe the only downside to it is it has a 35mm fixed lens correct? In that case its not ideal for really close macro. You really need a prime 1:1 lens for true macro, but thats not to say you cant still get great shots you will just have to crop in on them quite a bit and make sure they are tack sharp to get the good closeups. Some of the things I love about this camera is Im pretty sure its mirrorless which has huge advantages (again IMO) and Im pretty sure you have "peaking" manual focus assist, again just awesome. The peaking assist will allow you to use the lcd screen to easily detect where in the image the focal point is the sharpest. I think this would be great for macro and really help with shallow depth of field (although with the lens that it comes with shallow DOF is not really an issue)!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ValG;366910 said:
Im not sure how much you already know about what that camera can do so please forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know but if you are new to photography and want to start really getting better these are the things I would learn about first.

1) Get out of shooting in full auto , Program (P), and SCN modes. Although SCN can be nice sometimes but learn to use the the other modes first.
Read about the exposure triangle and understand the relationship between ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed. This is kind of like understanding the relation ship of Calcium, Magnesium, and Alkalinity LOL, its essential to good photography the same way Cal, Mag, alk are essential to good reefkeeping. A really good way to ease yourself into Manual mode (M) is to start shooing in the Shutter Priority (S) and Aperture Priority (A) modes first. This gives you more control while still leaving a lot of things in auto. Shutter Priority allows you to select the shutter speed you want and automatically sets the Aperture and ISO accordingly. This is really good for action shots and things that move quickly where you need a high shutter speed. Aperture Priority is very similar in that it allows you to choose your aperture to control depth of field while automatically adjusting ISO and shutter speed. This is great fro landscapes where you want deep depth of field and portraiture where you want shallow depth of field to blur the background. You can take both modes a step further and turn auto ISO off to give you even more control. Once you understand these modes you will by default also understand Manual and the transition will be easy!

2) If you are not already start shooting in RAW instead of JPEG or at least choose for the camera to do both (this will take a lot of space on your memory card as you will essentially be recording two images for every shot taken). Raw gives you maximum post prepossessing control when editing your photos in programs like Lightroom and Photoshop.

3) Your Sony Camera has a really cool feature I wish my Canon did. You have the exposure compensation control conveniently placed at the far right of the camera. Canon has this too and I use it all the time but I have to go into my menu every time I want to change it. This is great for when you take a shot and everything about the photo is good except its either a little under or over exposed. Use this dial to compensate in .5-1 stop increments as needed to properly expose without changing anything else. You can also use this dial for bracketing HDR photos. This is a powerful tool!

4) Learn to use the histogram feature on your camera display. This kind of goes with number 3 above as it will tell you if either your whites or black are blown out. You cant always trust the lcd screen on the camera to tell you if you are properly exposed or not. Those little LCDs are forgiving and you wont always know if your exposure was off until its uploaded to your computer and is too late. If the histogram is heavy to left and not touching the right side you are under exposed and you need to bump up your exposure compensation. The opposite is true if the histogram is heave to the right and not touching the left you are over exposed and again can use that handy little dial to correct it super quick and easy.

4 Learn to use the peaking manual focus assist. I really wish Canon had this! This will paint the parts of the picture in red that are perfectly in focus. This would be great for macro or any other situation where you have shallow depth of field.

Here is a pic of your camera using both peaking assist and Histogram information.

Again I am NO expert! This is just what I would want to know if I was new to Photography and wanted to start getting better if I had your camera. I try to learn something new about photography every day and then try to go apply those things in practice every week. Ive only been really into this for about 5-6 months now so im still learning too.

If anything above dosnt make sense or you would like me to explain further I am more than happy to do so!

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oops for got to mention one other thing since you are a reefer. You will want to learn how to adjust the White Balance in your camera. This is essential to good reef photography. If you shoot in RAW this is less important only in that RAW will allow a greater a ability to correct WB in post production but the closer you can get to color correct in camera first the better. You can only polish a turd so much in Light room and PS. I see that your camera looks like it has a handy WB button right there on the back. I would read about this.

Sometimes I find that the manuals dont explain things very well and that its better to just search the topic on You Tube. You will always find someone who has made a video showing you has to use a particular function of your model camera.

Great article and glad to see another photog nut! The Mrs also enjoyed it and we both appreciated your time and expertise.
We have been talking about taking our new Canon T5i to the botanical gardens to learn to fine tune our macro skills. We are just starting and have to amass some more lenses and gadgets though.

rjl45

Clown Fish
Fantastic and perfectly stated! I've been a photo nut for years and learned something new, Thanks! I also want to restate, much easier to capture the image correctly in the first place, that edit in post-processing. PS can do some amazing things, but it will soak up your time.

rjl45;366978 said:
Fantastic and perfectly stated! I've been a photo nut for years and learned something new, Thanks! I also want to restate, much easier to capture the image correctly in the first place, that edit in post-processing. PS can do some amazing things, but it will soak up your time.
I am just the opposite. Lol I am a graphic artist by trade so using Lightroom, Photoshop, and Illustrator are quick fixes for me! Hahahaha

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reefman1981;366979 said:
I am just the opposite. Lol I am a graphic artist by trade so using Lightroom, Photoshop, and Illustrator are quick fixes for me! Hahahaha
I've gotten decent with Lightroom, but oh man I still struggle like heck in PhotoShop. I'm trying to make a funny Christmas card in PS right now and I want to rip my hair out. I know i'll eventually learn it but its much less intuitive than light room.

Walter White;366980 said:
I've gotten decent with Lightroom, but oh man I still struggle like heck in PhotoShop. I'm trying to make a funny Christmas card in PS right now and I want to rip my hair out. I know i'll eventually learn it but its much less intuitive than light room.
Photoshop is a patience tester when learning for sure. I have been fortunate enough to have been working with it and Quark since back in 99. Little has changed fundamentally, really. My quick tips are: just zoom in as close as possible when editing areas, make layers for all new objects, and save frequently! Lol Oh yeah, learn that magic selector tool, it's your friend!

A quality monitor/graphics card can also be of help when manipulating individual pixels, shading, etc.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Walter White;366916 said:
Oops for got to mention one other thing since you are a reefer. You will want to learn how to adjust the White Balance in your camera. This is essential to good reef photography. If you shoot in RAW this is less important only in that RAW will allow a greater a ability to correct WB in post production but the closer you can get to color correct in camera first the better. You can only polish a turd so much in Light room and PS. I see that your camera looks like it has a handy WB button right there on the back. I would read about this.

Sometimes I find that the manuals dont explain things very well and that its better to just search the topic on You Tube. You will always find someone who has made a video showing you has to use a particular function of your model camera.
First of all thank you for posting this great info. I have read about quite a few points that you've listed here but the way you described them really drove it home for me.
WB is definitely something that I am struggling with when I shoot anything tank related. The only way I can adjust it now is in LR5. The back of my camera looks slightly different from what you had posted, may be a newer or older model. I have been moving towards You Tube lately more and more as I find the manual to be too frustrating at times.
I will definitely try to figure out how to use peaking assist mode and spend more time getting better at using manual settings. So far auto mode has been my crutch. For me photography and reefing have a lot of similarities. Both can be extremely frustrating to the point where you want to put your head through a wall but once you figure things out the results are amazing and they draw you in even more into these hobbies. I think if you are patient enough to stick to one and find success the second will come a bit more easier. Like learning foreign languages in some way...