Solana Restoration

I recently picked up a free/broken solana. This has been a favorite tank as we've had one before and ended up gifting it away. Just makes sense that we stumble on to another.

The back panel was broken (never a pleasant experience) I wasted no time at all in the disassembly.

This is not nearly the first tank ive done a full reseal on so I've had practice.

I fully removed the broken panel, then the filter wall but the first restoration ive photographed. The wall sat in a vinegar bath for 2 days and came very clean. The rest of the tank is spotless as well.

This very awesome freebie came right in between paychecks so ill have to wait to order the glass.

Right after removing the broken panel.

Getting clean

Masked out and ready for new glass and silicone

Filter wall back to original finish. Wow, that coraline was thick.

Thats all for now. More to come soon.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm doing this exact same thing except just a reseal on a 40g im fusion. How did you get the glass all apart? I know they are made different but I'm having a very difficult time. Idk if I'm not man handling it enough or what. I was told to use a guitar string but I still can't get it between the glass panels. Any suggestions would be great thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guitar string does work but you need to make handles. On either end of the string. I use razor blades, many of them. They dull quickly when scraped against glass so change out often. First I cut out the water seam then I make several passes directly into the structural seam. After, I stick a blade all the way through the seam and work it the full length. I was being careful so that glass took me 15 min to get out.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Tim, or Juan, I have a solana stand that would look great with some elbow grease. Let me know if interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haven't bought it yet but I had a piece cut a while back 1" bigger same thickness with bevel for $25. I did price low iron at the time and it was roughly double that cost and that's what I'll be ordering.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've ripped apart a couple of tanks and the thing I hate the most is getting the glue off in the end. What did you do/use to do this?

Lots of razor blades. I think I went through 20 on this. After that I use a rag to rub off any residual silicone. Lastly I use denatured alcohol to really clean the glass. Also just so everyone knows, momentive series 100 silicone WILL stick to old silicone. It's formulated to do just that. So getting every last scrap isn't entirely necessary.

TheRealChrisBrown;649359 said:
How much did the replacement glass cost, if you don't mind me asking?
Got the price nailed down to $65 here locally in the springs. That's low iron not branded Starphire glass however.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's pretty cool getting one of those to redo. I have always liked the whole look of those setups.

Started on the stand yesterday. Was in fair condition but the top was destroyed.

Just after one coat of stain. Several more needed it looks like. That's all for now.

Varnish is drying on the top but the stand is ready to go. Wiped the whole stand with tongue, siliconed the glass in the door and added an led in the top of the stand for effect.

Ok so the glass took forever to get here. Found a local shop willing to order it for about $40 cheaper than City Glass but it took a couple weeks. Glass came in today so I've already installed it.

Also made an ato bracket (because I was bored waiting for glass to get here)

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What's that's ATO holder made from? Spare glass or plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk