something eating my xenia

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
By the way a simple laser pointer dosnt cut it even a 1500mw laser will only be effective at 2-3" into the water. If you want to be able to really burn things inside your tank at any distance it has to be over 2w

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wouldn't something like this work though?

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/sale-2-4w-445nm-steel-laser-77741.html

2W 445nm laser...there were a couple videos floating around RC and R2R with lasers of the same power and wavelength burning up aiptasia. I started to have some pop up in my tank and was considering one of these as an excuse to buy a new toy...luckily it disappeared because I don't trust myself enough to have one of these laying around my house. Boredom can be dangerous, lol.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd have to hide something like that really good. Wouldn't want the wife or little one finding it on accident.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;200631 said:
I'd have to hide something like that really good. Wouldn't want the wife or little one finding it on accident.
Eh...just have the kiddo watch Star Wars so she can understand how deadly they can be...then wave it in front of her afterwards in the dark and tell her how bad it is. I'm sure she'll get it.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
LOL

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;200630 said:
Wouldn't something like this work though?

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/sale-2-4w-445nm-steel-laser-77741.html

2W 445nm laser...there were a couple videos floating around RC and R2R with lasers of the same power and wavelength burning up aiptasia. I started to have some pop up in my tank and was considering one of these as an excuse to buy a new toy...luckily it disappeared because I don't trust myself enough to have one of these laying around my house. Boredom can be dangerous, lol.
Yea!h according to the specs it should. honestly no idea why his is so cheap. The duty cycle isnt great on that one though and maybe that's the real difference IDK. The one my buddy got will run continuous for over an hour and had a base price of $670 he then upgraded the lenses, charger, and batteries, driver, etc. So that plays in too.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;200631 said:
Yeah these things are no joke, NOT a toy and you could easily blind yourself, someone else or even an animal. When i use the one I have I always wear the proper eye protection and make sure nobody including animals are in the room. I accidentally burned my hand last week just with some of the reflection that was coming off the glass.

If you guys remember TrippleT that use to post here, he had bne that was 1300mw that he got for a couple hundred and was very unimpressed with it. He said it would only bum thing that were right up again the glass.
I have actually exploded an aiptasia with the one my buddy bought. (not sure exploding aiptasias is a good thing though. lol)

Sorry for the hijack this thread has gotten a little off topic :pirate:

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Eek...just realized that thread derailment too. Apologies

Well...at least now we all know that if you find your emerald eating more xenia and are unable to catch him you can just fry him for about $250. :frog:

If you have something that's eating your xenia..GOOD! haha just kidding, although the further in this hobby you get you might change your mind on if you want to keep xenia in your tank. They spread like wild fire if you don't take precautions to control their spreading. I had a tile star once that munched an entire colony. It was awesome. Would sit on the colony for days just chomping away. I was so happy :)