Sometimes the old ways are the best...

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
When building my current system about 18 months ago, I tried to go fully new school. It's a 150XH that is 31" deep. Those who know me know I loves me some SPS. Long story short, the AI Hydras did not adequately light the tank. So I switched back to dual 400W Radeons. Also plumbed in an Aqualogic Delta Star 1/4 hp chiller.

Then I thought I'd go with a DC Pump and dropped $400 on a BLDC-15. Ran 6 months to the day and failed. Cris bailed me out with a new Dolphin Amp Master Diamond 6250 with Type-2 seals. Pumps against 16' of head from my basement and is throttled WAY back. The BLDC-15 is plumbed in as a backup in case the Diamond fails. The plumbing circuit here circulates through the chiller, through BRS reactors, and returns back to the sump. The main branch runs up to the DT on the main level of my house.

This past weekend the volute failed on my 1 year old Quantum Nyos 160 protein skimmer. No spare parts to be had locally, so off to CraigsList I go. Found an ancient (yet funtional) AE Tech ETSS SR800 downdraft protein skimmer with a MAG-12 pump on it. Making lots of foam and everything is as happy as can be. Cash in hand solves lots of problems...

This system is fully Apex-managed and runs across 3 separate circuits:
1 EB8 for lights, heat, fans, and 4 powerheads in the DT (about 8A draw with lights and powerheads on)
1 EB8 for Refugium lighting, Neptune DOS, Main Return Pump, Skimmer, sump heater, etc (About 6A draw running return/skimmer)
1 EB4 for Aqualogic Delta Star 1/4 hp chiller. (About 6A draw running chiller)

xCel sends monthly love letters since at full tilt (all lights, chiller, pumps, etc) we're pulling right on 20A. Do the math on that. Link to APEX Screen.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Gotta love equipment failures. Though I have to say I am jealous on the 20As. I have a 100A subpanel that is nearly entirely tanks.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
WOW! 100A! Still got that 900G tank? I am only 150G DT. I really want a separate sub-panel in the basement for all of this. It's really easy to do...just gotta get around to doing it. What I have now is just 3 branch circuits off the main panel waiting for the housekeepers to plug in a vacuum...

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I also have the 150xh lit with Hydra52's that I've been supplementing with T5's, I've been so close on so many occasions from going to 400w MH. How do you like the 400w Radions? Actually, our setups sound eerily similar...my sump is in the basement with 16' head pressure.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;n652078 said:
I also have the 150xh lit with Hydra52's that I've been supplementing with T5's, I've been so close on so many occasions from going to 400w MH. How do you like the 400w Radions? Actually, our setups sound eerily similar...my sump is in the basement with 16' head pressure.
Nice! I like them a ton. They're in ReefBrite fixtures and I supplement with an el-cheapo actinic LED strip which is mostly failed. Time to replace that... You *WILL* need a chiller.