Sony NEX 5 help

Zoalander

Butterfly Fish
Ok so I just bought a sony NEX 5. Here are a few pics I took, I'm still learning how to use it. I'm having trouble with the white balance and how sharp the pics are coming out, tips will be appreciated.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those double rainbows are ugly... lol

Nice looking pics, you probably just need to take a ton of pics and learn the settings.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have a tripod? If you're not shooting with one that'd be a huge help in sharpening up the focus. Also turn your pumps off to prevent movement if you didn't in those pics.

Using a tripod will also allow you to increase the "depth of field", which is basically increasing the amount of the photo that's in focus between the foreground and background. Looking at a few of your pics, there is sharp focus in one plane, but bluriness just behind or in front of that area. Shooting at a smaller aperture, or higher "f stop" will keep more of the image in focus. Looks like you were shooting somewhere around f5.6....get the camera on a tripod and shoot at f11 with a slower shutter speed and you should see a difference.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know what's wrong Alex my buddy my pal, and don't get mad... Get a Canon! You can get a T2i for the same price as the sony or get a T3i like me and Kris(DJKMS) you've seen his macro shots. Jus get a Nice Canon DSLR and a good macro lens with a tripod. If you insist on the Sony I think Aaron just got a new Sony and probably knows the settings well enough to help.

Zoalander

Butterfly Fish
Getting a tripod tomorrow and the sony NEX 5 is amazing Gabe!!! 3D pics and video....zoas in 3D! Its also the best looking camera and I look cool with it in my hand. It's like smoking a cigarette in the wind in slow motion.

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only things I can think of, and you are likely already doing these things, are to;

turn off the flow and let it settle down,
make sure you are perpendicular to the glass so you don't get distortion,
and once you have a tripod shoot with a few second delay or a remote trigger so your pushing the shutter doesn't shake the camera.

As for white balance, I've got nothing for you.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just got the a65, we should get together and contrast/compare, maybe learn some, maybe Brent will help even!!!
I got a tripod that is too small for mine, you might be able to use it, if you can its yours.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you able to change f-stop settings on that camera? If so start playing with that and the white balance. Also is their a + - setting on that camera? If so that in conjuntion of your white balance and f-stop will add you in sharpness and over all color correction.

And a tri-pod will help you out a ton. Nice score on getting a Nikon, best camera makers out there.

I would say bring it today so I could help you but my knowledge with point and shoots are limited at best.