Spectrapure RO/DI

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I'm changing out my filtration. I have a 5 stage unit like below.

View attachment 22370

I have a 1 micron sediment filter upfront, then a 5 micron Carbon block and then a Silica Buster and DI resin. I can no long get the Silica Buster in bulk.

I'm ditching the Silica Buster, so what should I run? Go with 2 sediment filters(1 - 1 micron and 1 - 5 micron), or 2 carbon block filters (1 - 1 micron and 1 - 5 micron), or two DI resin filters? To replace the Silica Buster...

Last edited by a moderator:

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
My unit is similar to yours only the third is just activated carbon followed by DI resin. I'm following along to see what others think.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How is activated carbon different from the Carbon block cartridge? Similar purpose?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Don't know that's what came in it and that's what I have replaced it with. I never really thought to replace them with other cartridges until recently.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What's the Activated carbon one look like, a filter, or just a canister of carbon?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
It looks the same as the DI resin but it's filled with carbon.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gotcha. I assume you have a carbon/chlorine block in your #2 chamber as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got this back from AZDesertRat, the resident Water expert on R2R:

"Stick with a 0.2, 0.5 or no larger than 1.0 micron sediment filter, a 0.5 or 1.0 micron carbon block, the current RO membrane and MaxCap DI but use any high quality mixed bed DI resin in the final cartridge. The MaxCap DI will still protect the mixed bed and make it last at least 3x longer than it would otherwise."

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Those cartridges are universal though right? So if I wanted to swap my activated carbon out I could?