Splitting/propagating anemones

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Curious who here has attempted to or does cut their anemones. If so what types have you cut and what was your outcome? Do you have any tips or even better yet, do you have a video or pictures of your process?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I agree looks easy enough for sure and there are lots of videos (heck BRS has two themselves). Im just curious who in our group has done it and what success or failures you have had.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have never had one die, but I never cut them very often and I always waited a month before moving them to a new tank. Heck, after you get a few of them, they will take over your tank just splitting on their own.

I may have cut a few anemones in my day :) Like others have said there are videos available that explain the process pretty well. As of late I stopped cutting anemones since they decided to split on their own.. I agree with jda123 don't get greedy!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anybody care to share their splitting secrets? I'll share mine. Typically, they do it on their own with good husbandry, but if I want them to split, then I leave the lights on for 2-3 days straight... as soon as they go out, the 'nems typically split on their own (all of them)... 80% of the time, this works all the time.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
By leaving the light on for 2-3 days, does it have any negative affects on your other corals or fishes?

jda123;329526 said:
Anybody care to share their splitting secrets? I'll share mine. Typically, they do it on their own with good husbandry, but if I want them to split, then I leave the lights on for 2-3 days straight... as soon as they go out, the 'nems typically split on their own (all of them)... 80% of the time, this works all the time.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a tank with just 'nems and chaeto in it. I don't recommend anything other than natural splitting in a display.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Will have to try the lighting trick.

I dose kalk in my nem tank via the ATO. I will take the kalk offline for a couple weeks to let the alk and pH decrease a bit. Then in do a large water change and dose 1dkh worth of baking soda and my pH usually goes as low as 7.8 at that point. I put the kalk back on line right after this and bring my pH back up to about 8.2 or 8.3 within a day. I end up with 1 or 2 splits every time....I've gone from 5 nems to 14 doing this :)

Last edited by a moderator:
jda123;329526 said:
I feed my anemones often..

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I yell at mine, tell them they are fat and lazy, this attempt of verbal abuse/stress has had no effect at all.

I might try the lights...