Sponge overtaking zoas! Help!

Tried manual removal as well as a short peroxide dip with minimal success . Its a fantastic bright colony of watermelon zoas and I'd hate to lose them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If you are worried about losing the zoas, why not frag off a large section of them? In that first photo the upper 1/3 of the rock looks sponge-less, just take a hammer and chisel or flat head screwdriver and try to fracture off that bit. Looks like you'd have 10-12 heads right there. I'm having trouble totally seeing the sponge in the pics, but I'm sure in person it's obvious. Just a thought, good luck!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Razor blade, wire brush and then dust some kalk on the sponge and let it sit out for 15-20 minutes... then, swish it in some tankwater (that you dispose of) and return it to the tank. Use something to keep the kalk off of the zoas like a piece of thin cardboard as a shield.

Full colony is covered unfortunately. there literally is zero area to frag off of them. Thankfully I have a separate colony elsewhere in the tank from an earlier frag, but this one seems to be causing me no end of problems.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you tried more light... super high light... not like LED at 100% medium-that-most-people-think-is-high light, but like HQI or 400W MH under about two inches of water high light light? I don't know of too many sponges that would like that.. and the zoas will be fine. This is all speculation. A large angelfish might also be of help here.