SPS gow contest

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Everyone!

So its been awhile since we have had a grow out contest and we have not had an SPS growout contest yet. Who would be interested in joining one?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am thinking that we pick an acro and cut it up into 1/2 in frags pay in for frag cost and pool cost. Shooting for a total cost of $10-$30 And distribute corals and start and go for 3 or 6 months. Winners picked based on total growth and best coloration.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is the piece i was thinking we could use. It I believe is a wild harvested Acropora willisae or Acropora selago. Green body with purplish brownish blueish corallites and polyps.

There is enough tips to do 17 frags at 3/4in each.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thinking $5 for the frag and $5-$10 into the pool for the winners. So 17 total people and the pool being $85-$170.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Seth, is the coral you posted already growing in your tank now? What if we talked to crisc or gonzo (or someone else with access to wholesalers ) about getting a wild acropora plana (think pearlberry-ish) or something with the potential to have some exotic coloration?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
BrianH;350104 said:
Seth, is the coral you posted already growing in your tank now? What if we talked to crisc or gonzo (or someone else with access to wholesalers ) about getting a wild acropora plana (think pearlberry-ish) or something with the potential to have some exotic coloration?
It is one I already have growing. If we chose that one I would not be participating in the contest as I would have a possible advantage. The problem I see with picking up a freshly harvested acro is that most of the time the growth is too dense to frag into equal size frags as well as a high mortality rate for the frags. But that is always a possibility.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
BrianH;350104 said:
I will stop by Aquamedic and see if there are any potential candidates. If I find any I will post them here.

quillin35

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe we can have something by reefed. pick up and pay then. If everyone that is playing plans on going..that maybe to short of notice for anyone though..

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
quillin35;350116 said:
Maybe we can have something by reefed. pick up and pay then. If everyone that is playing plans on going..that maybe to short of notice for anyone though..
That's the plan. If no sponsors pop up and I don't find anything at aquamedic we will use the acro I proposed. It was brown a month ago so i think it has some awesome potential.