1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

SPS gow contest

Discussion in 'Member Run Contests' started by sethsolomon, May 12, 2015.

1. sethsolomon

sethsolomon Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Hey Everyone!

So its been awhile since we have had a grow out contest and we have not had an SPS growout contest yet. Who would be interested in joining one?

2. quillin35

quillin35 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

When would it start and how would it work?

3. BrianH

BrianH Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I want to play!

4. sethsolomon

I am thinking that we pick an acro and cut it up into 1/2 in frags pay in for frag cost and pool cost. Shooting for a total cost of $10-$30 And distribute corals and start and go for 3 or 6 months. Winners picked based on total growth and best coloration.

5. MuralReef

MuralReef Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I'd be in.

6. TeenReefer

TeenReefer Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I would do it. Have any specific piece in mind?

7. sethsolomon

Here is the piece i was thinking we could use. It I believe is a wild harvested Acropora willisae or Acropora selago. Green body with purplish brownish blueish corallites and polyps.

There is enough tips to do 17 frags at 3/4in each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sethsolomon

Thinking $5 for the frag and $5-$10 into the pool for the winners. So 17 total people and the pool being $85-$170.

9. sharkboy99999

sharkboy99999 Copepod

I would be interested if I have a tank running by the time it starts

10. BrianH

Seth, is the coral you posted already growing in your tank now? What if we talked to crisc or gonzo (or someone else with access to wholesalers ) about getting a wild acropora plana (think pearlberry-ish) or something with the potential to have some exotic coloration?

11. BrianH

... or acropora nasuta

12. sethsolomon

It is one I already have growing. If we chose that one I would not be participating in the contest as I would have a possible advantage. The problem I see with picking up a freshly harvested acro is that most of the time the growth is too dense to frag into equal size frags as well as a high mortality rate for the frags. But that is always a possibility.

13. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

I may be interested depending on when it starts.

14. tony02133

tony02133 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

15. sethsolomon

I will stop by Aquamedic and see if there are any potential candidates. If I find any I will post them here.

16. quillin35

I would be in

17. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

I'd be in either way

18. quillin35

Maybe we can have something by reefed. pick up and pay then. If everyone that is playing plans on going..that maybe to short of notice for anyone though..

19. sethsolomon

That's the plan. If no sponsors pop up and I don't find anything at aquamedic we will use the acro I proposed. It was brown a month ago so i think it has some awesome potential.

20. quillin35

I also have a buddy that is planning on signing up for masc tonight that said he would be in too