Stand Remodel

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I was never "in love" with the stand that came with my 150 tall, but it was functional and the previous owner had done a good job beefing up the base with additional 2x4 and 4x4 supports. I'm just not an oak man myself. There was also a weird cut out in the canopy, and some weird holes drilled in the bottom of the base. I'd also modified the canopy several times, so in it's final state here all it is really doing is raising my lights higher above the water line. So here are the before shots:

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Here is the unfinished base. I made a pine sub frame, and then skinned it entirely in pine, and trimmed it out in....you guessed it pine. This piece will be nailed around the existing oak base, that's why you are only seeing 3 sides so it can slide over the old.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

The lid of the canopy uses a piano hinge and can fold all the way back and out of the way. The inside of the canopy is poorly primed in a white oil based primer, just to keep the wood from absorbing evaporated water. Completely open top to help keep it cool. Lights rest on rails that I made and are really secure.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Legonch;n643509 said:
Is that an adult beverage shelf surrounding the tank by chance?
I already got yelled at for leaving a shot glass of thawing fish food on it and "not using a coaster".....so yeah it could hold a beverage or 2!

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So your wife has a good xmas idea already for ya....fish themed coasters! Then when your fish geek friends come over, problem solved on where to put the beverages

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks everyone! It was a project I'd been thinking about for a long while, and when it came time to work on it I tried not to rush through it.