Stupid question about Apex

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have a new Apex sitting in the box, but I am honestly intimidated to open it up and try and set it up after reading the horror stories on the Neptune apex forum. My home internet service is spotty with no relief in sight. We use a wireless extender to hook to the inlaws, which is the last house on CenturyLink's line, so their service sucks, and ours is worse. Additionally, the Apex would be in my basement, which is the worst service in the house. When it rains and the ground is soaked, we go without internet for days. Is it worth it to have the Apex with such crappy internet service? Can I program it hardwired and then use it without the internet connection, except for updates?
Am I better off selling it?
I have wanted one for a long time, but I'm not sure I can utilize the awesomeness without internet.
Thanks for any help.
Randy

Last edited by a moderator:

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
you need to initially set it up with a hardline but you can program it via wifi as long as your wifi reaches your basement. The apex does not need the internet unless you are updating it or using apex fusion.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
After it is programmed, if it connects to wifi, and then the wifi goes out, is it going to mess things up?

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok then I'lll keep it! Now to dive into setup. I found some code online that I can copy for my simple setup. Wish me luck!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya it will keep working as its setup with or without the wifi, you just wont be able to see it over the internet. Even with out internet you can still manaully access the outlets and stuff via the display unit too.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
You probably don't even need code. Unless you need to do something out of normal ( I doubt it since your running without a controller now) use the drop down programming.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
FishTV;350553 said:
You probably don't even need code. Unless you need to do something out of normal ( I doubt it since your running without a controller now) use the drop down programming.
That's what I like to hear!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rplank;350566 said:
That's what I like to hear!
And if worst comes to worst I can always trade you my reef keeper lite! LOL!