Sump setup

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

This is the sump I have for my 65. I didn't set it up this way and am confused on what section is for what.
I'm pretty sure far right is the water from tank coming in.
then a partial bubble trap, a chaeto section going across the middle.

I have no idea what the far left sections horizontal piece is for or why there is a piece of glass in the corner. I know it's a return section for a pump and top off but am still confused.

Thoughts?

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Could be left side is water in from tank and that is to hold a inlet tube in place, or possibly some sponge or whatnot? Where did you get it? Is there no possibility of asking the person you got it from?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got it for free from someone cleaning out their garage a few months ago, it was their grandsons from years earlier.
Thinking I will pull all the baffles out and make it into a refugium but wanted to see what u all thought first before I added more to my to do list ;)

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well looks like the center section is for a refugium section. So you want to make the whole thing a fuge? Free is better than cheap lol.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SilverSurfer;324379 said:
Free is better than cheap lol.
Too true. Put only $50 into the tank build so far. All that's left is finishing the stand, figuring out the sump, and voila. *fingers crossed*

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The section on the left looks like the water inlet and skimmer section because of the shelf. Far right is most likely for the return pump, middle section is for equipment or you can put a fuge there. Or both, in some cases

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking 218. Miah 50 bucks? What all did you get for 50 bucks? Sounds like a great deal possibly.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
65 Tank, mh lights, refugium/sump and about 30 lbs dry rock for free. Tank was plumbed w a really nice overflow already and has all plumbing, pumps, and returns included.
Got the wood and plywood for a stand from shaunv.
Sand from Seth Solomon.
Worked for Scott chase on his house when he moved and got a ton of corals, a controller, etc.
Light fixture I had gotten w the tank needed some TLC and great white had the four foot version w some working parts that I got for $50 a few months ago.
Bulbs will b $60 each so sitting at $170 for equipment so far.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Holy crap that is killer! What a score, good for you can't wait to see pics of everything come together.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a build thread up already but usually start a new post for something specific.
It pays to take it slow, started back in August last year and slowly accumulated things as others gave them away.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice!Patience is definitely key.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya left side is downpipe and skimmer section, refuge in mid and right is return pump. This one setup about how mine was when I bought my tank, I ended up removing the panels and re-doing it to suit my needs.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;324640 said:
Ya left side is downpipe and skimmer section, refuge in mid and right is return pump. This one setup about how mine was when I bought my tank, I ended up removing the panels and re-doing it to suit my needs.
Thanks! Was really confused on the setup and had it turned around in my mind for some reason.