Sunburst vs rbta

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
All I have to say if it is priced @ $200.00 and it is on this site longer than a day I am going to bet it's not real......but hey what do I know lol.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here are a couple of mine, really bad cell pictures. I never thought they were anything but rbtas. Maybe it's just my untrained eye but these all look so similar other than the yellow tips.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;296291 said:
And my sunburst
Chop it up or wheres the biggun?

Bryan, I only see one color and maybe a bit of streaked green. My RBTA are same way. (Tiny bits of color around face/mouth but otherwise just red.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is my thought about this.

All nems can have different colors in different tanks. Same with corals

I have a Cali tort in my 180 display one in my frag tank which is the same water and lights and one in my 660 they all look completely different. Due to lighting depth, chemestry. Water movement and food.

This was the same with my sunbursts all split from the same mother after split took a couple down to my frag tank and they had different coloring than the ones in my display. Still resembled the mother but there was some differance. But all came from the same mother

For those of you to say this persons or that persons are or aren't sunburst is all hearsay. Maybe there lighting is different maybe there diet is different, if they at all look like a sunburst and there trying to sell as a sunburst they probably are a sunburst. Sunburst have the brighter tips I agree with that but I've also seen sunburst if not fed right loose the coloring.

Bottom line is forget about the name look at the nem and decide what you would pay for it. And if you have yours split sell it as you bought it and price it for what you think is fair. And what you would pay for it.

RuRoo;296446 said:
What is this and is it for sale?
Sunburst anemones! the smaller ones are all splits the large one photographed. The large anemone is not for sale the smaller ones are though. PM me for a price.

As Craigar stated and as you can see from my pictures the anemones vary in color. The smaller anemones tend to have a more green/red/orange color to them and as they grow in size they lose that red color and become more green/orange/yellow...
In my case I would attribute the color of the anemone to lighting more then any other variable that plays a role in this hobby. But that is just my experience with them. Each tank as everyone knows is different.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
All three in same tank...

[attachment=66458:name]

[attachment=66457:name]

The red circle are Rose BTA's, the orange circles are Sunburst BTA's (IMO), and the pink circle is a Rainbow BTA. Obviously all very different and distinct. The first picture is under 14k and the second blues obviously. (Old style Reefkoi Evo's)

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This has been an entertaining thread to read. I'm glad I ran across it since my name has been thrown around quite a bit. Since someone asked, I posted the above pics to show the three different BTA's I had in the same tank at the same time a couple years back.

First off, i'm not apologizing or even attempting to defend myself from all the "back alley" conversations I already know go/have gone on. I have never knowingly misrepresented the Sunburst's I have sold and still fully believe that they are indeed Sunburst BTA's. I've never had one complaint from over a dozen people I've sold them to. I've heard everything from brilliant orange, which Munch's look awesome, to yellow tip "development" from those who have bought them.

I bought a decent amount of these from someone I trust and told me had gotten them from an original Key's Island split. I did my homework before I ever sold any of these and have found EXACTLY what this thread has made clear....that it ISN'T clear.

For those "newbies" or new-to-nems might not know....the first "Colorado Sunburst BTA" came from Ki (Owner of Key's Island) as a hitchhiker on liverock he got from Florida (IIRC it was Florida). That is where any "lineage" starts from.

Jeremiah....I know for a fact, without going into detail, that you have the same lineage of nem as me. I think it is very telling that you have shown pics and described the nem to Ki, who would be the foremost authority on this topic, and he believes it is a Sunburst. I think that would end all conversation, but what does he know right? ;)

Seriously though, the idea that getting a good deal on here and that if any are still available at a certain price point means they aren't legit is ridiculous. Most of us that have been around this community for any length of time know that if you get a smoking deal on livestock it doesn't mean it isn't legit?!? If I sold someone a mini-colony of designer zoas for a per polyp cost FAR below retail, does that mean they aren't that specific designer zoa??? Does that mean that you must be getting a Corvette and not the advertised Ferrari??

No, at least from my experience from those awesome people I've made friends with on here. I can tell you personally that I have gotten no less than a dozen and usually more than 20 inquiries per month from out-of-state people wanting to buy these Sunburst nems. I don't and won't ship them. For those who don't know me, I'm not a vendor and have no interest in trying to make retail money or any real profit off of anything I sell or have sold. That's not why the majority of us are in this hobby.

Back to the topic, this thread echoes the exact same muddy conclusion that you will find on the same topic on every other national forum out there. I can tell you from personal experience that my Sunburst's have varied in color in every tank I have separated them into. I had around 7 different tanks set up at one point with at least one in each. Now I have 4 nano's with four different lighting scenarios and water params and they differ in each tank.

I have personally seen the $400 "100% backed true-to-the-death Sunburst nems" at places like Elite Reef, Aquatic Arts, Aquamart, Gonzo's...and they are never the same in appearance to me. Fitz19d got one of the ones I saw at Elite Reef many months ago that was spectacular. It was far more red and pink though than MOST of the more yellow/orange ones that people say are "true" Sunbursts. All I can say is if someone sees the value there and it isn't OBVIOUSLY something different than what is being represented than be happy with your purchase. I mean if something is obviously a Rose BTA or a Green BTA and someone is selling it as a Rainbow and it doesn't have a single aspect of a Rainbow, then sure...be suspicious.

That's my take at least...take it for what it's worth. I've never sold one of these guys to make a profit like a vendor would. That is where I think some of the pressure comes from to make this a "hot topic." I get it, I wouldn't be happy as a vendor if someone in the hobby was selling something for half of what I do. I can imagine it would be hard to be a vendor and try to sell designer zoa's, or any coral for that matter, at retail when people frag and spread the same coral at fractions of retail.

Anyhow, Happy Reefing!!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
jgonzz;298915 said:
I think that your story of how Ki got the O.G sunburst is way off, hitchhiker on Fl live rock lol
That's what Ki told me about where the first one came from.