Switched to Kalk and now numbers jumping around

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So When I finally setup an ATO last month I switched to using Kalkwasser in my top off water. Before I was using buffers to maintain alk, ph and mag and had it down fairly well so that my numbers remained fairly even on a day to day basis. But after switching to Kalk all my numbers keep dropping except calc which has slowly been rising. I have only been using about 1.5 teaspoons of Kalk in a 5g bucket though, so there is room for me to add more if need be.

Although it doesnt appear that I have enough growth or corals to take up the extra calc if I do use more Kalk in the top off, so trying to decide if I should just go back to using buffers until I have more sps and lps in the tank or should I continue with the Kalk and just increase the amount used in each bucket to try and keep other numbers in line? Or maybe keep using the Kalk but add a bit of buffers to it as well?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ive noticed that I have to add more alkalinity and magnesium manually with kalk. The calcium stays pretty good without additions.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Its a 75g with a 20g sump, currently using instant ocean reef crystals, but will be switching to kent salt as soon as the group buy gets delivered. Ya I had been adding some mag to the kalk mix, maybe I should just start adding some extra alk buffer to it as well

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 75, on Kent. I used to add Kalk to my ATO as well when on IO. Since on Kent, I only dose Alk.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya maybe Ill wait till after I switch and do a few water changes to see where I am at on numbers and then just go to dosing alk. Just dont like seeing numbers jump around so much and really ****es of my nem the most

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can not add mag to Kalk, the mag just precipitates out of the solution. May just have to figure out your usage and adjust accordingly.
[video=youtube;POsLy2Mp0m8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POsLy2Mp0m8[/video]
Skip to 4:05 if you like.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Thanks for that. Had seen a few videos on using kalk in the ato but his was way more informative. Guess its good I started with just a 1tsp per 5g of rodi water and guess I will just have to slowly raise it until I get the numbers in line. Hadn't heard about not being able to add the mag to kalk solution however, so glad that I have actually been adding that separately

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I must admit though, I drip line dose 2 tsp/gallon Kalk water every night. I have not had any problems, but I'm sure if it goes bad for me at that high of a dose it will go really bad.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReeferMatt;302999 said:
I must admit though, I drip line dose 2 tsp/gallon Kalk water every night. I have not had any problems, but I'm sure if it goes bad for me at that high of a dose it will go really bad.
True story

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReeferMatt;302999 said:
I would be afraid to do that. I will only dose kalk is the system is redundant. Dose too much 2 part, delicate corals might die, but most will survive just fine. Dose too much kalk...recipe for tank crash.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.