Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Little update.
I dumped the salt in the tank yesterday!!! {Insert happy dance here }
Next up is rock and sand!

Took awhile to get 100% sign off on the plumbing tests. I ended up having to make 2 big plumbing changes that took me a couple weekends to get done.

First plumbing change is that I added another drain line to the main tank. Overflow has 3 chambers and middle chamber is the main drain, 3rd far chamber is the drain to macro tank, and emergency overflow drain, but 1st chamber I had left open originally to be an acclimation box. So it's in this open chamber I drilled a new hole and added another drain.

This helped flow to sump a bit better so that I could run the snapper at full power. Overflow still won't handle the barracuda, but I'm okay with this. The slower turn over in the sump will work just fine

Second plumbing change was much harder as I changed the location of the 2nd close loop pump. Originally I had plumbed it on behind the mangrove tank but this proved to be unmanageable there, and the pump wouldn't turn over in the position I had mounted it. So I moved where I should have put it in the first place: under the tank.

I hadn't put it down there as I didn't want to risk reducing flow on the output because it would take a lot of turns to get it there, and each turn can impact flow. Beging the tank was direct and straight in, so least amount of flow reduction that way.

Happy to say though that I managed to plumb it under the tank without using any 90degree turns on the output. I use only 45 or less for turns and used spa flex to get around the stand. So over flow reduction should be greatly minimized as a result

Finally though it's all on-line and running at full now. I debated whether to drain it or just throw salt in it and go from there. In the end I just decided to throw salt it and get it started.
I will start putting more rocks in it later this week so I can get it scaped.

After that I have 300 pounds of sand to wash and get in there too. Still haven't decided how I'm going to do that but I'll figure that out later lol

View attachment 17317 View attachment 17318 View attachment 17319

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome! I can’t believe it finally has saltwater in it!

What’s next?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Awesome! Can’t wait to see it grow.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Thanks, Ya, its nice to finally hit that milestone. Took long enough

Next up is rock work. Ill likely spend a week or more doing it. Lots of rock to work with, but Ill start with macro tank and then start into the aquascape.
Once I'm happy with the rocks I need to wash a ton of sand and then get that in the tank.
While all of that cycles I then need to get QTs moved around and a Coral QT setup.
I also have to get my 3d printer up and running again. I need to make some different covers for the closed loop drains on the back wall, and still need to finish my nozzles for the outlets

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Still all cloudy from mixing it up but First run of the scape. A little bulky maybe, so might take out the structure in the mid back, but coming along. Alot of the rocks on the bottom will be covered with sand to make it deeper and give all my sand dwellers more areas to dig.
View attachment 17330 View attachment 17331 View attachment 17332

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looking great!! Some fish are going to be happy with all that room!

also how’d you go about cleaning the sand?
Thanks. Ya cant wait to see them swim around in it.
I washed it about 10 pounds at a time. Just dump in a 5g bucket, shove hose in it and turn on full blast, run it until it goes mostly clear. Then dump of excess fluff quickly. I scooped it back into its bags after that and used those to submerge the sand one bag at a time. Worked pretty good, as its was mostly clear this morning
Was going to was it with a big screen to wash it all on, but couldnt find a mesh that was the right size, so went with the bucket method.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I am not in any hurry. Likely Ill wait a month at least maybe 2. The tank may cycle pretty quickly since most of the rock was in a curing tank for years and a good majority of that had never been dry. There is one big chunk of dry rock that wouldnt fit in the curing tank, so that will slow it a little bit, although likely not a whole lot. Either way a couple things need to happen before I put fish in it.

For one I need to get my 3d printer running again and I need to print out my design for the closed loop drain covers. I had screens for these but those screens were to restrictive and I was getting micro bubbles in the loops as a result, so I had to remove them and come up with a better option. I designed some nice kind of sleek ones that will cover the 4" coupler and spread the suction out some so its not a fish death trap. Just gotta get my hot end working again on the printer. So I wll be working on that this week. Hopefully can get it running and not have to order parts. Will have to see.

I also need to finish a printing my nozzles and my filter sock/media cups that will go in the sump splash chamber, but drain covers are a must first

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Pre-Covid, we’d started to get something like this rolling. Very cool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Phyto (nannochloroposis) and pod (tisbe, Tig and apocylop) cultures started.
Will split in a week or so and then start feeding the tank after that.
Will need another light when I do split it though but that is pretty cheap for another clip light View attachment 17495

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Made some simple drain covers for my closed loop lines out of some spare plexiglass I had laying around. Couldn't get my printer working yet, so plan b it is. Not the most elegant solution but they should do nicely, for now
I haven't tested anything on the tank yet, but diatoms have arrived. Along with some long hair algae strands, which I'm not to worried about.
Picked up a yellow Tang at the Coral Farmers show last weekend, so hopefully he will take care of some of it.
The Tang is in QT with the pajama cardinals and doing well. I just started copper on them today so going to be at least another 3 weeks before I intro them to the tank View attachment 17503 View attachment 17504

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Finally tested some stuff on the tank and looks like the cycle is progressing as expected. Nitrates running at 25ppm and phos running at .03 currently.
Added 2 mangroves and a clump or Dragon's breath to the macro tank.
Phyto is growing good, and I split that yesterday, but I think I killed my pod culture so going to have to try again on that.
Lost the yellow tang in QT. He was doing great, swimming around and eating fine. I added copper to the tank and then he stopped eating and then passed away a few days ago. Not even a blemish on him and he wasnt skinny, so no idea, what is up with that. The pajamas are doing great though and they always staring at me wondering when I am going to feed them next. Hopefully they will get to go in the tank in another week or two.