taking another crack at it

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi there.

I returned to this hobby in March after a long, long hiatus. I bought a JBJ Nano-cube 24 off of craigslist and began renovating. I added a Tunze 9001 skimmer and a little Hydor Koralia Nano power head. I've got a Tunze Osmolator on the way. The previous owner had upgraded to the JBJ LED Pro lights, but the LEDs all eventually burned out (terrible design) so I installed a Nano Box single array LED retro kit with Storm X controller.

the tank is full of soft corals - zoas, palys, mushrooms, GSPs and a Jack-o-Lantern lepto.... I have added:
"Grateful Dead" chalice
shredder favia
war and peace favia
zoas - rastas, pinwheels, circus, bam bams, dragons eyes, and a few more.

Currently have one O. clown, one purple strip pipefish, and a watchman goby-pistol shrimp pair.

I started out in this hobby in high-school around 1989 with a fish-only tank - Oceanic 30 long with under-gravel filter - with a Flame Hawk, dwarf lion, and blue throat trigger among others. My folks took care of the tank while I was in college and then I was back in the hobby around 1997-99, giving a go at corals, but ultimately getting out altogether.

But every time I go scuba diving or to an aquarium, I get the itch. A trip to San Diego to Sea World and then the Scripps Aquarium over spring break sealed the deal earlier this year.

So I've had the tank for 6 months and things are going well. If I make it a year, I'm going to go ahead with a ground up build of some sort TBD....

View attachment 24536

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome: back

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the warm welcome.

BrianH;361963 said:
Welcome back! How was Scripps? I have never been there but it is on my to do list.
Scripps was cool, but not fantastic. It's well worth seeing if you are in the area. Very cool tide pool in the back of the facility over looking the ocean. Several exhibits with a museum style of educational themes- local biomes, climate change, etc. I do remember some very cool sea horse tanks.

SkyShark;361955 said:
Welcome back. Crazy how much some things have changed, right?
No doubt. I am loving LEDs, that's for sure. The way internet has changed the hobby blows me away. Resources like this forum (and club) and the non-location based forums like Reef2Reef and Nano-Reef are simply invaluable. And the fragging/trading communities that have exploded as a result... Very cool.

I remember places like GARF.org back around '98, and they are still there going strong. And trading emails with Jason of Premium Aquatics back when he was working out of his garage.

I think one of the best resources for me so far has been Randy Holmes-Farley's articles:
http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?75999-The-Collected-Work-of-Randy-Holmes-Farley

Anyhow, thanks again for the warm welcome. I hope to make it to a gathering and meet some of you someday.