Taking the new macro lens for a spin (Pic Intensive!)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I picked up a canon 100mm EF 1:1 L series lens a couple days ago and got the chance to try it fore the first time yesterday. So far I'm really happy with it although its much harder to use than I imagined. This is my first time ever shooting with a true macro. I need a lot more practice to even come close to what this lens is capable of producing. All the forums and reviews say this lens needs to have a macro or ring flash to really get the super crisp hand help shots. All of these shots are hand held.

Here are a few of some of the better ones I think. All in all not too bad for my first time using it. It will be awhile before I can pony up for the macro flash I want. I tried a few coral shots with this lens and it is just really difficult. I have new respect for those people that shoot amazing 100mm shots of their tanks. The depth of field is so narrow then combine that with the glass in the way and limiting the angle of the shot and its just seems darn near impossible. Nothing a ton of practice should be able to tackle though.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I so wish this little jumping spider would have behaved better. I really wanted a shot of his face but he was shy and this was the best I could do.

Lots of pictures of lichens. These have always reminded me of some sort of encrusting montipora or something.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
OMG I want that lens so bad! great stuff as always man! You seem to have a liking for spiders like me :) One of my favorite critters to photograph.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;361782 said:
OMG I want that lens so bad! great stuff as always man! You seem to have a liking for spiders like me :) One of my favorite critters to photograph.
Yeah I love the spiders. They are the reason I started playing with macro photography in the fist place. I'm super stoked on the new lens! I've been saving for it for a long time now. Once I have it pretty well mastered I'd like to graduate to the Canon MP E 65mm 5:1 macro.

There are several Masc members I think that are into photography. We should organize some nature hikes to all go shoot some pictures together. I know there is not much time left this season but I'm planning to go to the butterfly pavilion here soon and during the winter months to practice anyone is welcome to join if they like.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Awesome! love these spiders too. Had one of these making a web in my garage doorway all summer, everyone in the house greeted her daily. My standard lens wasnt up to taking decent pics of her though, but that macro sure is
:jaw: