Tank cycling question

alindell21

Cleaner Shrimp
I have just finally started the tank cycling process about two weeks ago as it as been taking me along time to gt the tank set up. I started with live sand and dead dry rock. The lights are off, the return pump and water circulation pumps are going, I decided to not run a skimmer yet until things start to mature or I hear otherwise. There is also ceramic bio media in one chamber of the sump and I have been monitoring the parameters of the tank. I have recorded the salinity to be 35ppt, ammonia between a range of 0.25-.50ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, PH 8.0 8.2 (test kit may be inaccurate so I will have to use my Neptune Ph probe) Temp at around 77 fehrenhiet. and all others I have not yet tested, but will make sure to do so before invertebrates are added. the only significant finding is the ammonia which is what I want right now for the nitrogen cycle, but I have a question. I have noticed algea starting to grow and assuming this is what is normal so my question is what are the next steps to take? Should I just let the algae grow and eventually it should go away once the tank is mature? Should I just let the tank do its thing since there is ammonia and I am assuming the live sand is working? Also i am sure there are lots of phosphates; What should I do about this, I have a carbon and GFO reactor which I am not sure when I should run these and I also having dosing pumps for vinegar dosing, but I dont think I should do this yet as I have heard it could hurt the cycling process. What about the length of time for cycling my system as it stands now? I just want to hear any advice or comments people can add. My plan right now is to just watch the parameters and once things become at a point where I can add fish and invertebrates I will add these starting slowly and applying myself to the tank conditions.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Let it be. You can put some food in the tank every day to help a bit. Clean the glass if you want. Don't do any gfo as it doesn't help with the cycle. I'd avoid any carbon dosing for the time being(or for ever). It'll be a few more weeks. Dry rock takes some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Dr.DiSilicate;n659315 said:
Let it be. You can put some food in the tank every day to help a bit. Clean the glass if you want. Don't do any gfo as it doesn't help with the cycle. I'd avoid any carbon dosing for the time being(or for ever). It'll be a few more weeks. Dry rock takes some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 Its doing what it needs to do, and while its not pretty its doing you a favor of sorts. If you get big clumps that can be pulled off easily, then remove it but otherwise let it do its thing for now.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It could take your dry rock a long time to stop adding phosphate to your tank or otherwise having the gunk inside of it purged out. Be patient. For some folks, it can take more than a year depending on the rock. The N cycle should still complete in four to six weeks, like normal.

Balz3352;659319 said:
I personally would start to try to grow macro algae if you were planning on a fuge it will help keep algae from going crazy
Nope. Not yet. It will grow no matter what. Might make a dent but adding something like an Algae scrubber two weeks in is just going to confuse. Both the tank and the reefer. Haha.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Oops, you did say Macro, and not an Algae scrubber. This will indeed do some good if indeed he does have a fuge or dump going. Export some of that stuff out of the tank.
Still, probably just leave it be for another couple weeks. He will still have algae. Just our hobby.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
timnem70;659353 said:
Oops, you did say Macro, and not an Algae scrubber. This will indeed do some good if indeed he does have a fuge or dump going. Export some of that stuff out of the tank.
Still, probably just leave it be for another couple weeks. He will still have algae. Just our hobby.

True but it makes a difference.... At least made a huge difference in my big tanks cycle.

alindell21

Cleaner Shrimp
I have no room for fuge as my 40 gal breeder just is separated into 3 main section with filterssocks, an area large for enough for two skimmers and the heaters, then to a bubble trap with sponges and ceramic media and the return. I was told and I believe a fuge is useless unless it is large enough to support the tank so I would need something 40 gal breeder alone just to have an adequate fuge. an algae scrubber is interesting and was considering adding one, but not yet as the tank is still brand new; possibly later down the road. So another question, I am assuming once the nitrates start to show and the tank feels as though it is cycled as the parameters are in check besides non toxic phosphates and nitrates which I will deal later, could I add a couple fish and some clean up crew to get things started and start running the protein skimmers and the GFO and carbon reactor. If all is well here and the animals live I will move to the next stage which is corals/ more fish and invertebrates and that will consist of refining the water using randy holmes recipe, getting phosphates, nitrates, algea to a low level as best I can, maintaining the water, and going slow. Does this sound like a decent plan? also as side note I plan on keeping my water changes simple and cheap with about 15 gallons every two weeks or when the system needs it by using a 75 gallon aquarium to make and store saltwater and pumping it into the take using a siphon/ pump intake/outtake system. Also once i get the the point where I need to start dosing my tank and water change water for the the corals, I plan on Triton testing my water change water before I add it to the main system and posting the results. the salt brand I am using is purple box instant ocean and the brands I would use for Randy's recipe include epsoak epsome salts, Prestone heat, BRS mag chloride, and arm and hammer baking soda. What do you guys think of this? I am trying to be cheap and functional as I do not want the tank to be a second car loan.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are going to use randy reciepe I would recommend getting actual dow flake. It can be found at Rio grand building supply in denver. It is like 25 bucks for 50 pounds last time I checked. Problem with presto is they change there reciepe every now and then.