Tank Cycling

I am setting up my 75G tank and was wondering how long it take for a tank to cycle and how long I should wait before putting fish in it.

240addiction

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
Each tank is different. Post some details on what is being used to cycle the tank etc., details on the tank? It will cycle when it wants to. Some are faster than other while some like our qt took months. Hang in there this is a marathon not a sprint....

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
post up some more info about the setup so we can give a good response. Live rock or dry rock, live sand or dry sand, have you added any bacteria supplements? That sort of thing. The key will be regularly testing ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate - you will be able to see how the cycle is progressing this way. Also, welcome to the club!

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
240addiction;340522 said:
Each tank is different. Post some details on what is being used to cycle the tank etc., details on the tank? It will cycle when it wants to. Some are faster than other while some like our qt took months. Hang in there this is a marathon not a sprint....
I agree, just don't look at it for a month...

I would say - start taking some water tests at two months and then don't throw a bunch of things in there right a way - a fish or two if water params are good maybe some clean up crew and I wouldn't put to many expensive, difficult corals in there until like six months.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
edekgb;345202 said:
I would say - start taking some water tests at two months and then don't throw a bunch of things in there right a way - a fish or two if water params are good maybe some clean up crew and I wouldn't put to many expensive, difficult corals in there until like six months.
+1 start small once the parameters are in line. After a few months you can potentially add some soft corals. At about 6 month you likely will start to see signs of the next stage in the cycle and at about 1 year you will reach the Well-established point. Once you pass this point you should be good to start adding some of the more challenging corals or nems. The more patient you are in this first year the better off you will be in the end imo