Diy/3d printed union?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It's under $30 total w/ shipping at Marineandreef: https://www.marineandreef.com/Replacement_Union_with_O_Ring_Emperor_Aquatics_p/rea20630.htm

They have a 1-1/2" version and a 2" version

Designing a union with exact tolerances exceeds my capabilities. If someone had designed one and shared the plans I could give it a try....but I'd be pretty worried about the threads being high enough quality. Doesn't mean others out there can't do it, but I can't. If you wanted a fidget spinner with your name on it, I'm your guy....lol.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's under $30 total w/ shipping at Marineandreef: https://www.marineandreef.com/Replacement_Union_with_O_Ring_Emperor_Aquatics_p/rea20630.htm

They have a 1-1/2" version and a 2" version

Designing a union with exact tolerances exceeds my capabilities. If someone had designed one and shared the plans I could give it a try....but I'd be pretty worried about the threads being high enough quality. Doesn't mean others out there can't do it, but I can't. If you wanted a fidget spinner with your name on it, I'm your guy....lol.
Thanks for trying

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you tried just using the unions from home depot or lowes? You only need the part that seals and those are standardized.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya unions are very dependent on brands. I have several that look almost the same but they dont work together because they are different brands. The size is standard but the threading is unique to each brand, and even when trying to 3d print it, getting the threading right is the real trick. Plumbing companies do this on purpose, so that you have to buy theirs

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The size is standard but the threading is unique to each brand, and even when trying to 3d print it, getting the threading right is the real trick.
This is why you keep the threaded parts and just replace the tailpiece and/or O ring. The tailpieces usually have 2 standard configurations (with and without O ring).

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app