TCP Port Connection

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I spent the last couple of days trying to get my Apex up and running. I have successfully hooked up my controller to my home network and am able to access it from my computer & ipod with a Netgear wireless adapter. Now that I am trying to set it up for remote access I am stuck on this "Port 80" issue. I have been running the "Apex/AC3 Network Diagnosis" test provided by Reeftronics (http://www.reeftronics.net/network-diagnostic) and keep getting this error message:These are my router settings:

And these are the settings on my Apex Controller:

Does my configuration have incorrect/missing information in order to get my remote access to work?

Thanks

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can't view the attachments, they are too bury. Can you post higher resolution screen shots, or email them to me?

In the mean time, you might want to try and set everything to a different port, so you don't have any conflicts. This will also allow you to have an additional security layer. You can pick an unused port, perhaps 372, or something else that isn't used, or something you won't use for anything.

I would also open up your port forwarding for both UDP and TCP, as it almost looks as if you don't have it opened up for either.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Whats your email asn-naso?

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A couple questions/suggestions:

• What IP are you accessing from your phone? 24.9.224.178?
  • Are you sure your gateway is 192.168.0.10
  • Please open up the port for TCP and UDP – Not many things use UDP now a days.
    • You currently have TCP set to 0, please change it to 80
  • I would turn off the virtual server, and just use port forwarding

After you get it working, you can then turn on the Virtual server, and start changing ports.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
1. That is correct, the IP that I input into my ipod is 24.9.224.178, now for some reason it is telling me that the request timed out when I try to access it with that IP. That is also the IP that is given when I confirm with whatismyip.com

2. My gateway has been revised to be 10.0.0.1

3. I have revised the TCP to be 80 and UDP to be 0.

4. I have deleted all fields under virtual server.

Still no luck.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
gateway of 10.0.0.1 doesn't sound right. I have a feeling it is 192.168.0.1. on your windows pc, please open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all"

also, please open up port 80 on both udp and tcp. we can change it after you get it working.

Also, after you get it working, you should be able to use a dynamic dns service so you don't have to worry about your IP address.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't forget, to test your remote access, you have to be "remote".

example, to test your remote access on your iphone, while within the range of your router, you have to turn off your network access on the device your testing (iphone).

I'm not sure this is actually your problem, as I cant see your screen shots, but I remember overlooking this when I first set this up on my system.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
For some reason the android app is not working for me on my phone and tablet. I have been remotely testing it by tethering my ipod touch (app is working thats why) from my android phone.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Based on running terminal on my MAC it looks like the gateway is 192.168.0.102, which I have now changed it to on the APEX, but cannot seem to find anywhere on my router to change it to the correct gateway.

I have also been reading that Port 80 is often blocked by many ISP. My current ISP is Comcast if that makes a difference.

QUOTE=asn-naso;286124]gateway of 10.0.0.1 doesn't sound right. I have a feeling it is 192.168.0.1. on your windows pc, please open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all"

also, please open up port 80 on both udp and tcp. we can change it after you get it working.

Also, after you get it working, you should be able to use a dynamic dns service so you don't have to worry about your IP address.[/QUOTE]

lsaint

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I set up mine I changed the port on the apex with the flash utility ( I think that's what it was called) then changed my router to port forward to the new port. So when I want to log on remote. I put in my ip and the new port #. When I get off tonight I will look more in dlink and how to change its setting I have a net gear and it was really ez

Sent from my HTC 8XT on the Sprint network using Tapatalk

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
opakapaka;286130 said:
Based on running terminal on my MAC it looks like the gateway is 192.168.0.102, which I have now changed it to on the APEX, but cannot seem to find anywhere on my router to change it to the correct gateway.

I have also been reading that Port 80 is often blocked by many ISP. My current ISP is Comcast if that makes a difference.
Your router is actually the gateway, so you don't need to change it on your router.

Also, I don't think comcast blocks port 80 now a days. Blocking of ports is something that was done in years past.

opakapaka;286127 said:
For some reason the android app is not working for me on my phone and tablet. I have been remotely testing it by tethering my ipod touch (app is working thats why) from my android phone.
If it's working from your ipod touch, and you are 100% positive you are going through the phone as an access point, and not your home network, it sounds as if you have it working from a network perspective. The next step would be to find out why it doesn't work on the android. You might want to take your ipod to a starbucks to see if it is working.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What I meant was that I was accessing the controller from my ipod touch through the home network. But in order to test to see if it works remotely I used my android and tether my TMO service to my ipod to check so that I would not need to leave my house to test it. Would this not be the same as going else where and using a starbucks wifi?

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
opakapaka;286137 said:
What I meant was that I was accessing the controller from my ipod touch through the home network. But in order to test to see if it works remotely I used my android and tether my TMO service to my ipod to check so that I would not need to leave my house to test it. Would this not be the same as going else where and using a starbucks wifi?
It should be the same, assuming your phone is on the cellular network, and not your home network. If this is working, I think the problem you are having is on your phone, not your apex and/or home network.

Assuming the above is working, can your android connect to your apex when it's on the wifi? If so, what IP are you accessing?

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just to clarify, I can access my APEX through my ipod which is connect to my home network, which I assume is the same as accessing it on my MAC wirelessly. The reason I am tethering my android phone to my ipod is to check to see if my settings are correct for remote access, which in this case is not. I have been running that diagnostics test from reeftronics as a starting point for my adventures. Based on the results from the test it is telling me, [COLOR=xaa0000]Port 80 on 24.9.224.178 is closed and does not respond,[/COLOR] hence all my newb questions regarding port forwarding.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you turn off your network access on your android, you can test. DO NOT tether to anything conected to your home network!! For example, I have two connections on my neptunes app. 1 ) local IP, and 2) remote IP. The remote will never work at home as long as my phone is connected to the home network. Turn off your network access on your phone to test your remote access while your still at home.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let's take a step back. I need a screen shot of you ip setting from your Mac. A large pic I cant see the pic on the earlier ones

Second did you sign up for a ddns service?

KCCO

Last edited by a moderator:

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here you go.

Last edited by a moderator: