Terrible news

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
At is point till I can restock it's just a matter of letting it cycle out. My anemone is still alive but I can't get it out so we will see. Hopefully it goes fairly fast

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Other great news I got al the weed SPS out of my system only cost me a couple thousand

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
That sucks Scott, I remember when I shut off the circulation for a good feeding after a long trip and forgot to turn it back on, lost a lot great fish. Sorry and non-fish people just don't get it...

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Holy hell man, sorry you lost all those fish! Sad part is you can't back up fish like you can coral.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Scott, sorry bout the loss. I have some of your coral backups so let me know when the tank is ready. Oh and about 2 weeks the trigger will be ready to move over to your 380. I'll hook you up with a new Chevron/Sohaul when the time comes if you would like a new 1.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is devastating. Even with all the checks and balances on the systems we run it is still far to easy for one small issue to wipe out everything.

I am so sorry for your loss.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have any corals that you think that might be able to be saved, feel free to bring them over. I have a few hundred gallons under 14K phoenix that I could try and keep them alive, or nurse them back.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123, are you a licensed electrician?

I ask because I am thinking about having two new circuits brought in specifically for everything on the tank. Right now it is run off the same circuit as the entertainment center, and that just seems like a recipe for disaster at some point in the future.

Or does anyone know someone of the forums that hires out for electrical work? I would rather have someone that understands the final use to provide some guidance instead of someone out of the phone book.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Jda I got the circuits covered, it looks like they were originally wired in series and one of the outlets earlier in the series failed knocking out all the rest further on so I plan on switching them over to being wired in parallel to prevent the same issue in the future plus I will make sure the pumps are split up between circuits for further backup. Right now everything that is going to make it is in my frag tank and still attached to the sump which were both unaffected by the event so I am good there. Just need to get the main tank back in shape so I can bring it back online with the rest of the system but that will take time at this point and then restocking cleaners and biodiversity before I add some test corals back in.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is why a controller is worth every penny. If temp >75 = text this #, email here, do this.... If power bar or pump A = no power, than email here, alarm this, do that.

My apex has saved my reef a few times already. Even when I was out of town, and my neighbor had to come over. It was worth all the time to document my system, and develop a to do list when certain things can happen...

Glad to see you're on the road to recover, and hopefully you get a reef angle, proflux, reefkeeper, or apex down the road.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How does Apex handle power outtages? I started wondering as this thread came up..

Maybe something like:

2 EB8's , one on the UPS with critical devices, the other plugged into the wall.

Is there a better way to detect power outages?

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just an fyi basements are ususally tied in with outside and sometimes even garage so the same gfci runs all the outlets I highly recommend running a dedicated circuit to your reef. I used to be an electrician and trust me this is a must.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;275277 said:
How does Apex handle power outtages? I started wondering as this thread came up..

Maybe something like:

2 EB8's , one on the UPS with critical devices, the other plugged into the wall.

Is there a better way to detect power outages?
The recommendation from Neptune is to run the Apex head unit and one EB8 off some kind of backup.

That way the head unit can start all the emergency messaging. The EB8 that is attached to the battery goes runs the most important items off the battery. That would normally be at least one powerhead in the DT and the sump, plus whatever else you consider critical for the time the

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get some 10g and wire 3 30 amp circuits. Return pumps and heater 1 on circuit 1. Tank flow and heater 2 on circuit 2. Lights and chillers on circuit 3. You can spread the rest of the incidentals out amongst the three. No GFI anywhere - I don't need a wish of mist from a fish fart knocking out a circuit.

...not to rub it in or anything, but the lime in the sky came late last week. I will just hold on to it for a while until you are ready.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blindrage;275280 said:
The recommendation from Neptune is to run the Apex head unit and one EB8 off some kind of backup.

That way the head unit can start all the emergency messaging. The EB8 that is attached to the battery goes runs the most important items off the battery. That would normally be at least one powerhead in the DT and the sump, plus whatever else you consider critical for the time the
Apex has a 12v plug for a battery backup. Its only good if your router and modem are on too

KCCO