The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;260976 said:
said the man with like 500 watts of led's over his 60
Over my 120g soon :p But your point is valid :p Let me know if you need help populating with coral when you get the new tank up and running.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Josh is right, IMO. If you are wanting to rock SPS Domination, then save the wattage and remove the garbage spectrum from the LEDs and fire another Halide. You won't find too many SPS Dominant people with years and years of experience with the breath and depth of experience of what-is-what who would even allow LEDs, beyond blue supplements or moon lights, to put garbage spectrum over their corals. This is a national TOTM quality tank and setup, so I would use SPS TOTM quality lighting - there is a reason that they use what they use. If you still have doubts, reach out to some of the SPS farmers and fraggers and see what they think. You will get overwhelming answers. ...just my opinion - not wanting to start an argument, so take it for what it is worth... nothing.

I have a million frags when you are ready.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;261154 said:
Josh is right, IMO. If you are wanting to rock SPS Domination, then save the wattage and remove the garbage spectrum from the LEDs and fire another Halide. You won't find too many SPS Dominant people with years and years of experience with the breath and depth of experience of what-is-what who would even allow LEDs, beyond blue supplements or moon lights, to put garbage spectrum over their corals. This is a national TOTM quality tank and setup, so I would use SPS TOTM quality lighting - there is a reason that they use what they use. If you still have doubts, reach out to some of the SPS farmers and fraggers and see what they think. You will get overwhelming answers. ...just my opinion - not wanting to start an argument, so take it for what it is worth... nothing.

+1 to halides or hit me up and we will design custom LED fixtures to fit the spectrum (The best part about DIY: you don't have to buy them all at once.).

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jda123;261154 said:

So just for arguments sake, who has led and sps and who has halide?

Another question, 2x 250 watt over this?? With t5 and maybe 1 led??? What do people think?

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;261210 said:

Another question, 2x 250 watt over this?? With t5 and maybe 1 led??? What do people think?
You say my tank the other day, not sps dominate but there's some nice ones in there. Oh and all led!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;261210 said:

Hit all light types? Not a bad idea. What were you think for each type?

Halides: 20k's? 16k's? 10k's?
T5's: Actinics and color max?
LED's: Royal Blue, Blue, and UV Accent Strip?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's exactly what I'm doin over the 210. 3 Evo panels with 2 175 watt halides and at least 2 t-5s. the evos are 20k. I'm thinking 14 or 20 k halide bulbs (ushio is the brand 3 separate SPS farmers have said) and some supplemental t-5 (color to be determined after other lights are running to determine how blue I am/want)

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm up in the air on my new build
What I have at my disposal are

6 ai sol blues
4 36" dual bulb t5
3 400 watt metal halides
2 150 watt halides
1 8 bulb t5 fixture

I was originally thinking
3 400 watt halides
3 ai sol blues
4 dual t5

But in ways I'm almost thinking
6 ai sol blues
4 36" dual bulb t5 lights
And 2 halides (400 or 150)

I definately am going to supliment the LEDs cause of the depth of this tank

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You know what I have.

I might suggest that as you get responses, you go and look at their tanks with your own eyes. Here is my typical online experience: somebody says that I am a dinosaur (which is totally true) because I still have halides, that their SPS look amazing and the best that they ever have ever looked... then in the next post, the kid has a bio cube with a few frags on plugs still, has been in the hobby struggling for a year, has just opened a post asking what the purple stuff growing on the glass is and the corals in his tank look terrible. If you want SPS domination, then be looking for 5-10+ year SPS veterans that have the depth and breath of experience to what what is what... not somebody who loves their lights (whichever kinds) because they are the only kind that they ever had. For me, I am looking for people in that 10+ year range with tanks bigger than my sump that had awesome tanks before vinegar, zeo, huge simmers, computers running tanks and message-board-hype - these are bad-azzes that know what they are doing whose opinions I am REALLY interested in, even if we don't agree. Unfortunately, most of these people don't post much, but they are around... even in Colorado. Dang... sorry about that rant.

If you keep the white out of the LEDs, it might be OK. However, there are better looking ways to add blue either with a good choice in Halide bulb or with VHO Super Actinics. I have some stunners and panorama that you cannot even tell are on when my Halides are on - you can borrow them if you want to experiment.... they are just sitting here. T5 actinics don't pop like the VHO did.

Not checking out some tanks with your own eyes is like buying a LED TV by reading the specs on the side of the box or by seeing a picture on the internet - would anybody do this? ...yet people do this with aquarium lighting.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My current tank is all ai sol lit for 5 years when they first came out I switched from 3 250 watt halides
1 4' 8 bulb t5
2 175 watt halides

Now it's running 3 ai sols on it and I love my lights haven't had a problem so that tanks staying like that I'm not saying is the best light that's why I'm going to experiment with mix and matching my lights who knows I may just go ai sol and t5

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have always liked t5 I had halides and honestly didn't like the color or heat. I am gonna try my led for a solid 6 months without any adjustment if I need I will supplement with t5 after that. I feel that led gets a bad wrap because they haven't been around long enough for one and two most people are to impatient with adjustment phase. Just my .02

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
how would 2 250 watt 20k's do? lets assume I have good reflectors and 2 54 watt t5 to add to the mix... I may even also do 1 chinese led with it for the blue pop. I guess the question here would be, is that enough spread for 60" I don't want to go with three because of the power consumption and heat created.

I have seen awesome tanks with led, Baha mike to name one notable tank, but many more mh. This leads me to believe that the halides give you a closer spectrum to what the corals need and leave a bit more leeway in tank chemistry, whereas the led can get the job done but you better provide everything else perfectly. I have run t5 with success as well as metal halide. I love the idea of led and really want them to work. Totally considering my options here. No opinion will be overlooked.