The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Couple pics with just the blues on. I need a gel filter to get the real colors.

On a side note, thinking of adding a third halide.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;357073 said:
I think so too.

The leopard is awesome! He eats everything. Thanks

I wish more people had success in bringing them in and getting them to eat like I do.

As for anthias, I vote lyertails, picitilis, or ventralis.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So I'm ordering the three 250 watt hqi Hamilton fixtures today. Do I do the Phoenix bulbs or the new Hamilton 20k? On the phone they have told me the Hamilton look the same to the eye as the Phoenix but have "slightly higher par rating" I'm inclined to believe them but no one really has any experience with hem. They developed the bulb as a replacement for the Phoenix when they were temporarily not in production.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it were me, I'd go with the Hamiltons, if for no other reason than to test out their claim that they are comparable to Phoenix. Worst case, they aren't, and you replace them with Phoenix bulbs when that time comes.

I wonder if any of the lighting experts have done a comparison of the two.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
sethsolomon;357097 said:
get both and try them both
Lol! Not in the budget. I almost ordered 2 of 1 and 1 of the other but in the end after talking to Dave at Hamilton, I decided to go with the Hamilton. He promised I'd love them and customers have been reporting great things back to him. I'll report what I see after I get them installed and broken in for several days. Probably going to dim them for a couple weeks as this will be a lot more light than I currently have.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
CRW Reef;357149 said:
Dang that water is clear!!!!! Tank looks great Doc, nice work !!!
Thanks chad! I use a filter sock for a day or 2 after each water change. I also use about 25% of the recommended BRS lignite carbon and change it out every month or so. Sometimes I throw a little KZ coral snow in which works awesome but only got it when it was on sale for 40% off. Too rich for my blood on a normal basis but it really works and helps with algae on the sand, clears water like crazy and the corals seem to extend extra the next day.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

I updated my lighting. The 2 bulb system was not giving me the coverage l wanted. I went with three 250 watt cabu sun fixtures from Hamilton. They have dim able ballasts that I currently have at 190 watts to let the corals adjust. Hamilton also encouraged me (with a fantastic deal) to go with the Hamilton 20K HQI bulb. They advertise it as a replacement for the Phoenix with better par? We will see. They look the same to the eye. Hamilton seems to have extraordinary customer service.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

Apex guru's

Is this going to turn this light on from 9:00 am till 3pm and on again at 6pm till 10pm or do I need another line of code for the off time? I'm assuming no since the fallback is off???

It's code I've written since 6th grade. Lol just trying out the advanced option on something simple before I get more complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;357995 said:

Apex guru's

Is this going to turn this light on from 9:00 am till 3pm and on again at 6pm till 10pm or do I need another line of code for the off time? I'm assuming no since the fallback is off???
You need an off clause from 3-6.